Is it necessary to format entire hdd (including all partition) to install Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by c0ldhart, Jul 17, 2013.

1. c0ldhart

c0ldhart MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2012
    #1 c0ldhart, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    Is it necessary to format entire hdd (including all partition on that hdd) to install Windows 7?
    Whenever i try to format system partition with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 USB (Created with rt7lite + all latest update) system does not recognize small 100 MB partition which is created last time of OS installation

My PC is not new its currently running Win 7 Ultimate sp1 X64 for last 1.5 year.
    I have 3 internal HDD in total 1+1+2 TB out of them one hdd is used for OSes & it have two partition ~450GB each, one is for win 7 & other is temporarily using for DC++ download directory but i'll empty it for windows 8.1 final when it will get release in few months.

Steps from my past Win 7 Installation
    1>Checking Windows 7 USB installation on VMware for stability of integrated updates after everything works fine in virtual Drive
    2>Booting system from USB & everything works fine until the OS Partition Selection.
    3>After formatting old C Drive Setup doesn't recognize 100 MB old reserved partition.
    4>deleting C & old 100 MB partition.
    5>Creating new c drive but setup doesn't create 100 MB Partition so installation stand still on that point until i delete all partition from C drive HDD.& disable other HDD from Bios.
    6>now again creating c drive (of 450 GB out of 1TB HDD) but this time setup creates 100 mb partition like it suppose to.
    7>Installation goes smoothly after system boot for first time i create new partition from remaining space & format it.(All data from remaining C drive HDD lost)
    8>Enabling other HDD From Bios
    9>Activate Windows 7 from daz activator.
    but i always loose all the data on other partition of OS HDD but this time i want to save the data of dc++ partition for time being so tell me frnd how can i install windows 7 without deleting other partition on hdd & also able to create dual boot with win 8.1 in near future.

System Spec
    Core i7 950
    24GB 1600MHz Gskill Ripjawz ram
    1+1+2 TB HDD
    Sapphire 5870 1GB GPU
    Corsair HX 650 PSU

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Just delete the 100 MB partition & system partition; no need tot touch other partitions.

;)

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be you do something wrong!

You need to use Custom Installation and delete just the C Partition via the Drive Options. Than you highlight that now empty space and click next to install.

You could also keep a partitions intact and highlight the C Drive for new installation. That will keep the old Windows, Users and Programs under a new build folder Windows.old which you could delete later on or copy data from it etc. just what you like to do with it.

The above should work with no problems!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    when i just delete OS partition & 100 MB Partition the empty space doesn't addup even though they are on same HDD it shown as 100 MB + 400 GB Space when i create new parttion on both of them 100 MB + 400 GB that 100 MB partition doesn't recognized as a system reserved partition even if i give same name as system reserved partition :eek:. & i cannot ignore 100 MB partition bcoz its necessary for dual boot.
    even if i format the c drive without deleting anything still it does not recognize old 100 mb partition as system reserved partition.

5. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks frnd & evry1 for reply
    My PC is not new its currently running Win 7 Ultimate sp1 X64 for last 1.5 year.
    I have 3 internal HDD in total 1+1+2 TB out of them one hdd is used for OSes & it have two partition ~450GB each, one is for win 7 & other is temporarily using for DC++ download directory but i'll empty it for windows 8.1 final when it will get release in few months.

Steps from my past Win 7 Installation
    1>Checking Windows 7 USB installation on VMware for stability of integrated updates after everything works fine in virtual Drive
    2>Booting system from USB & everything works fine until the OS Partition Selection.
    3>After formatting old C Drive Setup doesn't recognize 100 MB old reserved partition.
    4>deleting C & old 100 MB partition.
    5>Creating new c drive but setup doesn't create 100 MB Partition so installation stand still on that point until i delete all partition from C drive HDD.:fear2: & disable other HDD from Bios.
    6>now again creating c drive (of 450 GB out of 1TB HDD) but this time setup creates 100 mb partition like it suppose to.
    7>Installation goes smoothly after system boot for first time i create new partition from remaining space & format it.(All data from remaining C drive HDD lost):wallbash:
    8>Enabling other HDD From Bios
    9>Activate Windows 7 from daz activator.
    but i always loose all the data on other partition of OS HDD but this time i want to save the data of dc++ partition for time being so tell me frnd how can i install windows 7 without deleting other partition on hdd & also able to create dual boot with win 8.1 in near future.

System Spec
    Core i7 950
    24GB 1600MHz Gskill Ripjawz ram
    1+1+2 TB HDD
    Sapphire 5870 1GB GPU
    Corsair HX 650 PSU

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would first install that OS which needs the biggest System Reserved Partition, in your Case Windows 8/8.1, which need 350MB as System Reserved partition. If you install Windows 7 as next OS, it will used the 350MB partition for to place it's needed system files.

In both, you'll have to use Custom Installation in the Setup Process of Windows. First OS Windows 8/8.1 you've to use the drive options and delete all Partitions from that HDD. Now click on New and set the space for the first system partition for the Windows 8/8.1 OS to let say 450GB (as supposed by you) and click Next Do NOT create any other partition. Finish the Install of Windows 8/8.1.

Next: Windows 7
    Boot using your setup media (DVD or USB bootable, do NOT start the setup process from within the running Windows 8/8.1 you installed already!) for Windows 7 and start Custom Installation as by 8/8.1. In Drive Options. click on the empty (unpartitioned) space and either set the Partition size you what you like or just click Next. Remind you: Only highlight the unpartitioned on the HDD! Finish your Installation. as the computer boot's, you will be asked to chose what OS you like to start, No. 1 will mainly Windows 7 and not Windows 8/8.1! You could change that order within MSCONFIG later on if you like.

Personally, I don't like more that 1 OS on 1 HDD! I allways install any OS on it's own HDD and use the BIOS Bootmanager for to boot which OS I like to have to run. That gives me the Freedom that I could use one OS even if one of the HDD fails for what reason ever or the HDD is dead! In cose of having several OS's installed on the same HDD, if the HDD fails to work, I have NOTHING to use to boot any system from and have to prepare an new/other HDD with OS for to start up the computer. Just have the one HDD connected and the others disconnected (physically, not in BIOS only) while installing an OS. Finish done that, I disconnect that HDD, connect the next one and install the OS to that HDD. While starting the Computer I use the assigned BIOS Hot KEY, mainly F11, other using F2, F8, F12, and chose which HDD I like to start first. One HDD fails, I've the tools for checking HDD's on all, installed OS's and could just see, what happens with the HDD which fails.
    Again, that's the way I using for multiple OS's on the same Computer (not HDD'S)!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    HDD Structure Of My PC

ikREyn93THvsH.png

Drive "C" & "G" are present on Same HDD

I want to format Drive C but don't want to loose data on drive G (Don't have space on other drive to copy data of drive G). I'll use Drive G for Windows 8.1 when final version get release in future & move data of drive G in external drive which i'll buy on year end.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That should not be a problem. But I would consider to resize the System Reserved Partition form 100MB to 350MB if you plan to install Windows 8/8.1 later on! 100MB may wouldn't be big enough for to use 2 OS's on the same HDD because it needs to store the required Boot Manager and it's system files for 2 OS's on that Partition as well as need some free space left for temporary storing of extra infos.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would also split that windows 7 partition far to large for an OS sytem then you can use other partition for backups.

10. f33nix

f33nix MDL Member

Apr 4, 2012

Looking at the picture of your drives I would be tempted to cable them in order. You have your boot disk in the 3rd SATA port and I would use the 1st SATA port on your motherboard.
    So Disk 2 (boot) becomes Disk 0 and current Disk 0 (media) becomes Disk 1 (your Media drive as shown)
    Disk 1 becomes your Disk 2 (final SATA port)

I suppose it is matter of preference of mine. You don't have to follow this advice.
    Rather than just disable the SATA ports in the BIOS I would physically remove the other 2 drives during a Windows install so that it does not get jumbled up.

Last tip would be to move your Pagefile from your C:\ Drive (Windows 7 as shown) and place on a seperate physical hard drive as it will improve your performance. I think this would be your E:\ or F:\ partitions as shown.

11. c0ldhart

Dec 16, 2012
    I searched on google for installing windows 7 without 100 MB Partition
    so that means C "Windows 7 Drive" will be act as system reserved (correct me if im wrong) so isn't the 480 gb of windows 7 will be enough instead of creating or expanding 100 mb to 350 mb?

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Redroad has it right to my understanding. The 350 MB System Reserved partition is used for the Boot Manager code, BCD, WinRE, and start up files for BitLocker if it is on. Win7's 100mb is for the boot loader and utilized by bit locker as well, afaik.