Is it necessary to update BIOS for "Sony Vaio PCG-FXA36" CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mgelle, Dec 22, 2009.

1. mgelle

mgelle MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    #1 mgelle, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    "Sony Vaio PCG-FXA36" CPU upgrade: is it necessary to update BIOS?

Hi everyone:

This is my first Post on this site so please be patient and help me the best you can.

I have this laptop running on original CPU, but would like to upgrade it. It is running latest BIOS for this model but I read somewhere that it will also accept the PCG-FXA47 BIOS.

The specs of my laptop are here: no permission yet for links

Its Bios is here: please google pcg-fxa36

My question is: what kind of BIOS do I need to upgrade the CPU? Does anyone know what is the highest CPU I can upgrade to? And what is the socket name or number in this MB?

Sony does not specify much about what I need for CPU upgrade, however I upgraded many things like adding 80GB HDD, 512MB, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, Battery etc.

Currently it is running XP Pro and Linux dual-boot and I do not intend to put Vista or Windows 7. I only need more processor speed since "System Load" mostly says 100% CPU usage. Memory usage is usually around 50%.

Thanks

2. mario35

mario35 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    from the memory speed (pc100) I would think the socket on the motherboard is a socket K7/A.

3. mgelle

mgelle MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    Thank you. Understood. I'm confused about BIOS Mods, SLIC or SLP although I read them on this forum. I do not need Win7 or Vista on this laptop. All I need is to upgrade the CPU but I'm not sure if the current BIOS will support that. Do I need a custom BIOS for that?

Someone will hopefully give me more directions.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I would suggest you have other issues if you are using 100% CPU and that much memory. You can upgrade the memory to 512mb.

I think the LINUX should run extremely well on this machine.

The Windows is questionable. You could run Xp fine, but you couldnt do any rendering or heavy apps. It is an Athlon Xp/T-bird type processor. Efficient, but outdated.

I think the advantage of increasing CPU would be negligable..not worth the price point or effort finding a CPU..although it is socket A.

There is no bios upgrading the cpu speed...1ghz with 200mhz FSB should be an ok machine..Linux should FLY!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mgelle

mgelle MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks. The memory is already to the limit of 512MB (see my first post). I'm a computer technician myself and I'm sure there is nothing causing any bottleneck on this machine. Linux is OK, although it also sometimes shows CPU of 100%. XP is mostly the crap slow and I do not have many applications.

But you mention the cost of upgrading the CPU. This CPU upgrade will cost me around $50 from eBay and it is worth indeed.

I like this laptop since I'm not a gamer or resource-hungry. I would like to upgrade the CPU so I can get more processing speed. Since memory always shows around 50% usage, I'm sure the issue is the CPU speed not matching newer applications. Remember this laptop is 8 years old and still kicking fine.

thanks again

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    It appears to be a socket a machine..athlon XP Mobile should work..I see no way to upgrade the bios..You will likely have to trial and error the CPU...maybe try a reg XP+ if yuo find one cheap...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...