Is it possible to backup Windows OS core files, excluding specific folders?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Jun 17, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I have about 130Gb worth of games installed that I do not want backed up. I do want to backup my OS and exclude those games folders. I would prefer to create a backup that can be used to restore the OS on a freshly formatted drive, but if OS has to already be present on the drive, then its also an option as long as the OS can truly restored to backed up state. So far I was only able to find backup programs that backup the entire system or a specific drive/partition without the ability to exclude specific folders. I also found software packages that can backup selected "Data/File/Folder", but would that work if I were to backup Windows, Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData, and Users folders along with pagefile and Hilbernate file? Windows has these special hidden boot files that may not properly backed up by "Data" backup apps, which may lead to corrupted restore or one with many issues.

Any ideas? I am actually quite perplexed at the fact that there are no system backup apps that allow you to exclude certain files from being backed up. The only available options are -1. all of the system backup or 2. the possibly non-working "Data/File/Folder"-only backup. I know I should've kept my games on a separate partition, but I didn't...

Right now I use AOMEI Backupper and it is great for the whole system backup, but again - how can I backup only my OS and exclude a buttload of games? I know they will stay in the registry, but I don't care about that, I care about space available for backup.

2. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Paragon 2014 free last time I looked.

There is new version of the very popular Aomei Backupper free coming soon. Not sure if it will have that function. I think I have suggested it to them already. Also very useful for transferring HD to SSD.

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Don't care if its free or not, but I do care for that function. Thanks though.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #4 endbase, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    If you don't want to backup your games why not delete them and then make a backup ?

Another way could be put the games on a fresh created partition and exclude that partition from backup :p

Greetz Base

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #5 Nucleus, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm. lazy walrus here.. harddrives are cheap..if i had this problem, i would just disconnect current harddisk. put in new one. and install new os, you can always connect old harddisk to usb if needed..

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Had you ever try Windows Easy Transfer? You could just 'backup' your whole system exclude those apps you don't want. You'll find in under Windows System.

I never try that on Windows 8.1, done on Windows 7 Ultimate and that worked well.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I have no way of getting a new drive at this point. I am not lazy, but it really sucks having to install new OS, then waiting to download a whole lot of updates on a slow connection, re-install all the drivers, re-install all the non-game software, edit or import OS and most software settings to fit your preference, organize your desktop, and etc. Being able to backup a perfectly working OS + Software or just System state to restore it later makes a lot more sense, don't you think?

9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    That looks cool, but it seems like it transfers only OS settings and not all of the included software, but I could be wrong!

10. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #10 MonarchX, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You need to 'customize' the transfer for what you need and what not! It's maybe a bit 'tricky' and need a bit of time, in the end it may works exactly as you want.

I'd use that several times in W7 U and that worked very well. Just 'adjust' the settings and you're done. I'll take a look at my own on W8.1 and come back back later.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just checked Windows Easy Transfer on Windows 8.1.1 Pro and it seems to be that you could use that only for to 'restore' an already done transfer from an Windows 7, Windows 8 RTM and Windows 8 Machine but 8.1!

As I wrote in my first post, I never used it on 8.1 and opened it just the first time 5min ago. But, if your main machine isn't Windows 8.1 already, just 8 or RTM or 7, it would work!