Is it possible to change language of upgrade ISO to English?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by halasz, Jan 13, 2013.

1. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi all,

I upgraded my Win 7 (French OEM Ultimate version) to 8 Pro using clean install as I was hoping to be able to change SYSTEM language to English. (Not display language, nothing to do with language packs etc that is not my question).

My only choice of language on the install is French - where the box lets you choose the install language I mean. I would like install in English so that device descriptions, bitlocker screen, system accounts and various other bits are all in English. These are defined on installation and not changed when you change display/input language.

The ISO I got from the upgrade download seems to have fr-fr defined in MediaMeta.xml and there are various localisation files in both sources and support folders. I tried deleting them all as a test but it failed to install at all.

I saw this thread about adding a language to win 8 installation media (I can not post the link as this is my first post)

Thread '35884 Integrate Language Packs into Windows 8' on this forum

but I can not find anything about removing one from what you get from MS upgrade.

Any ideas if I can

Remove French from my current iso? Does MS add localisation or remove English as well?
    Find an English iso (somewhere, not sure how) and activate it with my upgrade key?
    Am I covered by my license if I do this?

I did try asking MS direct but can not get an answer as yet.

Thanks

2. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #2 rrohela, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    No.. its not possible to change/add/remove on upgrade media downloaded from MS coz no method or tool is available to edit install.esd file....

You can use MSDN ISO to install & will work fine with upgrade key....

3. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    #3 halasz, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for the reply. Which MSDN ISO do you mean? The preview you can not upgrade and full membership very expensive.

Is the thread referred to above about adding a language to Win 8 ISO not applicable any more? Surely if you can add one language another can be removed?

If not can I find an English upgrade ISO somewhere and use that with my key? If so where?

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Installed MSDN version in English and all is well. Thanks for your help.