Is it possible to check if remote desktop is in use?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by harrismail, Feb 13, 2014.

1. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I use a remote access utility to login and control many remote clients PC's - however the one thing it doesn't tell me is whether anyone is actually using the PC at the time.

Does anyone know of a simple (and small utility) that I could install on the remote PC's that would enable me to (connect to it) and just tell if the PC was "active" (mouse keyboard movementetc) or not as it can be annoying when you try to do some maintenance on a remote PC only to find someone is using it?

TIA

2. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I think you can log out the user, then continue your maintenance. But that doesn't mean that the user won't return in a few minutes and log back in. Any way to communicate with users on what your schedule is?

3. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I could ring or email but it would save time if I could see if the remote desktop was active or not.
    Logmein has this ability - just before connection it tells you if and how long the remote PC has been idle.

But Logmein is now no longer free :-( and the software I now use doesn't have this facility on it's own.