Is it possible to create a DVD-like menu on a USB flash drive?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by NeverCleanARunningSystem, Dec 1, 2015.

1. NeverCleanARunningSystem

Nov 14, 2015
    ...which can be played on a DVD Player (plays all video files).
    I want to gift a USB flash drive with many home videos which could be selected through a nice menu.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NeverCleanARunningSystem

Nov 14, 2015
    This would work on a PC but a BluRay Player wouldn't display the menu, would it?

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I believe a DVD/Blu-ray standalone player is built with industry standards capable to play DVDs and Blu-ray discs only, obviously disc's structure/filesystem meets the same same so they can work flawlessly.
    Conversely, standalone players are not designed to work with USB drives in such way.

5. NeverCleanARunningSystem

Nov 14, 2015
    That's what I thought. Thanks!

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You didn't mentioned BD, USB Flash drive instead. That software will work with USB Flash Drives with no problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. frozendwarf

frozendwarf MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2015
    It should work on USB sticks with no problems, but you have to keep in mind that by default most new Windows machines have disabled the autorun option for USB devices, so at the end you'll still have to run that executable if you want the menu to show up.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's mainly for the Auto-Start function at the time you insert the USB Stick etc.! Just go to drive by clicking on the Drive letter in File Manager and double click on the file Autorun.exe and the Menu would show up normally!

And just to note: I always disable the Autorun function in Windows!