Is it possible to disable espionage?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by KOLANICH, Oct 2, 2014.

1. KOLANICH

KOLANICH MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2013
    According to EULA, W10 TP will spy for user's actions and software installed on PC. How to disable this completely without patching? Is it possible to add some key to registry or to replace some exe with dummy and set readonly flag?

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    go into scheduled tasks and delete delete delete.

3. KOLANICH

KOLANICH MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2013
    Are you sure that scheduled tasks are the ONLY sources of data leaks?

4. Bat21UK

Bat21UK MDL Novice

May 24, 2007
    so how save is it to use utorrent :eek:

5. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    #5 mtrai, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    This is part of the feedback process you agree to when installing the technical preview. I do understand what your are getting at. In Win 8 retail it had an ET phone home, and had no idea what was going on, but could disable it. In a test version I have no issue with ET living in my PC for feedback

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Thats right. IF you are doing something so sensitive that you fear prying eyes, use something that isn't designed for feedback. TP is just that, one big feedback monster from MS.

7. Lazerbat

Lazerbat MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    what a dumb post in all honesty... you think the government/corporation has or wants to waste it's valuable time spying on you ? Until you contribute vastly to society in any way then you're just another person like me and the others...

8. xomniversex

xomniversex MDL Member

Sep 20, 2012
    I think I know what you are getting at.

Microsoft doesn't care what material you are downloading with bittorrent with Windows 10 - copyrighted or otherwise. Sure, they might see you are using uTorrent, and they might see what you are downloading with it, but they aren't going to care.

9. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Man, if only I had a quarter for every time someone has misused the word "spy" in the last couple of years I could probably buy Larry Ellison's island and him too (yuck!)...;) I *want* Microsoft to see how I'm using their software because I want it to work like I want it to work when I buy it...! Don't you? Listen, unless you are jacking your jaws about really sick stuff like blowing up things and collecting shrunken heads and all of that--the fact is that your life and mine hold as much interest to the government as does the June 1959 issue of Reader's Digest....probably a lot less interest if you want to know the truth.

Sit back, relax, get some perspective, and realize that you're an amoeba in the scheme of things, and that what you say and do holds about that much interest to the "dark forces" that are said to be interested in how much toilet paper you use, toothpaste you consume, and peanut butter you eat--among many other "super interesting" factoids. It's true--you and I are invisible 99.9% of the time, and that's just the way I like it...;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #10 Espionage724, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    They wouldn't care right then and there, but on the other hand, they could just keep note of it and use it against you later on.

My only argument is, would you allow me to sit behind you and observe your computer usage at all times? If you have nothing to hide, surely you wouldn't care, right? Maybe I should get some friends to also observe, since you don't have anything to hide. Be assured though, you can trust us not to do anything with your information. We have it detailed in a lengthy EULA (with a few non-obvious loopholes to keep me and my friends safe should this information be used against you, or if the information "gets" in the wrong hands (that hacker known as 4chan could leak your info)). :cool:

In all serious though, if you really want to be free of Microsoft's snooping, don't use any modern version of Windows, and especially don't use a version of Windows tailored specifically for gaining user-feedback. Either that, or analyze and distribute each and every packet sent from your computer :p Or just make your life easier and use Linux.

In a slightly unrelated story, wasn't there some mess with somebody leaking some Windows activation SDK thing, using Hotmail/LIVE email, and then ending up getting screwed because Microsoft, the host of the email service, read that user's email and used it against him?

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    This is just plain ignorance.

If you don't want to be "spied" on then don't use Windows 10 in the first place.

Now if you really don't want to be spied on use the freaking thing in a Virtual Machine and disable the networking adapter to the VM. This is just plain stupid you signed up for a feedback program thus you have got to know the thing is reporting feedback. Yes, Windows 10 does have real-time telemetry in it which will probably cause a head ache for people later but that is not the point.

The point is that you can't play the "Spying / Snowden" Card. I would say ignorance is bliss but if your smart enough you can figure out how to disable such things in order to prevent the spying to occur on you in the first place. Now kindly close this mildly idiotic thread.

The Windows Activation SDK was leaked to a person and the person was arrested because they read it in his Hotmail Email. It should be plainly obvious at this point that if you do something bad that you don't use the most obvious means of tracking in order to do it as anything you post online should be regarded as for public consumption. There is a reason why AES 256 Encryption exists and you can make the key advisably longer than 10 characters lol.

12. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    Paranoia strikes deep
    Into your life it will creep
    It starts when you're always afraid
    You step out of line, the man come and take you away
    We better stop, hey, what's that sound
    Everybody look what's going down

Buffalo Springfield

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Nah people didn't give a s*** before the term cyber security got raped in the news. Then every conspiracy nuts' dream came true with Edward Snowden and that my friends is why we have this forum thread.

Now move along I know you all like being amazed by Microsoft as much as the apple guys like their new iphones.

14. double_kill

double_kill MDL Member

Oct 10, 2011
    "as much as the apple guys like their new iphones"

....until they bend with little to no pressure.. :p just sayin..

15. double_kill

double_kill MDL Member

Oct 10, 2011
    doubt they care what you have on your HD... but if you're paranoid enough, don't use it, simple.

16. KOLANICH

KOLANICH MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2013
    #18 KOLANICH, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    (OP)
    I understand that it is feedback process. But I can provide feedback manually. Of course it won't be as full as automated, but manual feedback is mostly worthless for automatic analisys. Also I understand that noone will spy personally for me. But it is possible to spy for everyone automatically with the help of special algorithms, AI and databases. For example, getting list of software binded to ip will allow nsa to select exploits personally and automaticwlly and automatically modify the traffic with them. Or you can sell collected info to advertizers. Or to copyright trolls.

17. double_kill

double_kill MDL Member

Oct 10, 2011