is it possible to extract only a few stuff from a windows insider build ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by walou213, Jul 1, 2018.

1. walou213

walou213 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2017
    I'm using a tablet to work on the field, without any keyboard, and love the way the touch keyboard is working in latest build.
    word predictions are working perfectly thanks to SwiftKey, but I can't use an insider build and take the risk to crash and lose tons of data in front of customer.

so i was wondering if it was possible to copy the new touch keyboard program from the insider build to my 1803 os and just use it until redstone5 get released in 6 month.

i remember having managed in the past to copy content from c:\program files\common files\Microsoft shared\ink from an older build because at this time touch keyboard was broken and basically managed to import older touch keyboard.

method involved : surfaceforums.net/threads/issues-since-fall-creators-update-1709.22967/ (last post)

if anyone know how to extract specific content from Windows insider build, please let me know.

ty

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    I may be wrong but importing a newer version to a older build has much more chances of failure or may not be possible at all than importing an older version to a newer build.

3. walou213

walou213 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2017
    Yes that's what i came to the conclusion too,

another solution would be to use the insider build but without any telemetry , does the telemetry setting in gpedit works to disable it or it's like overwritten by windows and whatever you do it still send tons of data to microsoft server ?

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could use the MSMG ToolKit 8.6 for the modify the Install.wim for your needs. That would also work for Insider Builds, AFAIK. In upcoming Updates, only installed apps would be updated to the latest versions. Again: AFAIK!

At the moment I'm on modifying a Windows 10 ISO for to use on a Low-Power Tablet with very limited space (16GB SSD/1GB RAM, Quad-Core), by removing many apps, Telemetry and so on. On my own Tablet, I also use a modified W10 Pro with no problems. Telemetry and many others removed and the OS with some needed apps just uses 11GB of space. Updates just work fine I get only updated what's installed and running, nothing added extra.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. walou213

walou213 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2017
    currently mounting the Windows insider iso i made with MSMG : removed telemetry and other stuff i don't use like photo apps, ..

i'll let you know if it worked.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I like the old Photo Viewer in Windows 10 and still use that one. The new Viewer and Photo3D I'd also removed, and many more, for sure!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. walou213

walou213 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2017
    I was actually able to remove most windows bloatware and get a 12GB windows installation.
    everything is working fine but I'm kind of worried about the telemetry in windows insider build, I have use every single trick i know to disable it (including shutup10, win10provacy, and other tool) but I hope Microsoft doesn't care enough to spy on my little business because I'm pretty sure my computer is still sending tons of data to Microsoft server.