Is it possible to fix a broken motherboard pin?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by MonarchX, Mar 19, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I have a single broken ASUS Z77 motherboard CPU socket pin... It used to be bent but after unbending it became so weak that it broke off... I must've messed with it too much to get it perfectly aligned (damn OCD)! I know someone who makes jewelry as a hobby and has done micro soldering before. Hell, I've done some micro soldering myself to get my Radeon 9700 Pro more juice back in the day!

Is there a DIY fix for this? I can get a hold of a super thin copper wire and stick it inside the pin socket as a replacement. I would just have to make sure there is a 100% contact... Somehow. Maybe if I place several short and thin wires only to fill the pin socket for guaranteed contact and then use one longer wire for CPU contact then it may work?

Any DIY ideas are welcome!

2. manu198045

manu198045 MDL Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Dear MonarchX,

To my knowledge there is no solution for the broken pin of 1155 socket.:D There are certain manufactures don't mind for one pin damage ( I think that too damage not broken fully) you can try your luck in replacing. You can also try in authorized service center for a paid service also. All up to you.

Regards

Manu

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Lookup the specs of the socket and processor, and figure out exactly which pin it is.

About 50% or more pins on some processors are used for power or grounding, so the loss of a single one of those should not be disastrous.

If it's one of the more important unique ones like a data line, you need it repaired.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Even if the repair appeared 100% successful, at the first sign of the computer acting up, I would always suspect the repair. This isn't for me. And now, to contradict myself, if it's your only motherboard and circumstances don't permit a replacement, I guess you have to go it. Either way, the best of luck to you!