Is it possible to obtain old versions of appx files from the Store?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by toyo, Dec 21, 2022.

1. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
  2. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    The driver only points out to the download location on the Store.
    I am sure there are multiple versions of the same app on Microsoft servers just as there are on github and almost anywhere online. You can download old isos which occupy far more place, it's impossible that older appx files were not kept.

4. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    old appx = old driver

yes old appx are possible but use news driver and old appx not works because by design ( dch driver use appx related to version from driver

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    best ways remove windows 11 telemetry bloatware or windows 10 bloatware

search to use old appx from driver are bad idea..

6. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Please read the OP before responding, Intel removed functionality from its latest drivers for legacy products, which is anything below 11 series.
    There is no appx control panel file inside the driver packages. If you cut Internet access as you install DCH driver, you are left without the CP, until you restore the web and download from the Store.
    Let's not get caught in these unrelated technicalities, and focus on finding the old versions of the control panel appx, so I can have my functionality restored, OK?

7. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    no possible... to use old version of appx by design ...

8. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Nobody?
    We have so many Microsoft wizards here.
    Intel literally removed functionality from their product. I am 100% sure that the Store servers host a lot of versions for these apps.
    How can we download an older appx version? How to find the link? Since it has to exist, as a product can be deemed defective and might require rollback.
    Anyone? There must be a way, the files are there.

9. 12 lb Turkey

12 lb Turkey MDL Junior Member

Nov 24, 2022
    Intel & NVIDIA will purge old app versions from Store.

Dell (maybe others) often repacks the Intel app inside of their installers. Find an older Dell update for your Intel graphics family, extract the EXE and see if there's an appxbundle + License1.xml inside. Extract the appxbundle (with 7-Zip) and see if that's what you're looking for.

For example:
    Intel-Graphics-Command-Center-Application_1YVMK_WIN64_1.100.2731.0_A06.EXE

18c529d76f9946b3b73eac52ac582bd5.appxbundle -> IGCC_1.100.2731.0
    18c529d76f9946b3b73eac52ac582bd5_License1.xml

The installer will also include older pre-req Appx packages, which you can substitute with newer versions.

10. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Amazing stuff!
    Found an older driver from some Dell Precision Tower, extracted, and there's the appx. Installed that, and all the lost features are back.
    Thank you! This is the sort of stuff I was looking for, but since I never buy premade PCs I forgot about these driver packages from other corporations.
    ---
    Now.
    Is there any elegant way to block ONE app from being updated, while allowing the Store to update other apps as normal?

11. 12 lb Turkey

Nov 24, 2022
    Not that I know.

I've wondered if anyone's spoofed the StateRepository-Machine DB with a fake app version that's >> than any current release. You install an app normally, then hack it's reported version to 65535 -- which blocks lower releases from installing.

12. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    For now I just disabled automatic updates for the Store as a whole, and I'll update manually as needed I guess.
    It's rather unbelievable Intel did this.
    To add a bit of details - the Intel iGPUs are known to be rather useful for tasks such as encoding/decoding video with little cost on the PC, and to speed up Adobe Premiere and similar apps quite a bit with Quicksync.
    A few days ago, Intel decided to abandon the old architecture iGPUs (so everything below 11 series) and to put development time into releasing a new control panel that removes the "Games" and "Capture" functionality from the control panel of these GPUs.
    Yes that's correct. Intel did not just abandon product. They went the extra mile to cripple their own iGPUs.
    Sure, the drivers still exposed the encoder/decoder to external apps, and you can still use OBS or MSI Afterburner. But that means yet another app working in the background.
    And the Intel CP has the ability to record at rather high settings, like 37K Kbps and 1080p/60fps and saves as mpo4, while the MSIAB settings are more ambiguous, and OBS saves as mkv and has a lot more settings. Premiere won't use mkv, but happily accepts the mp4, the mkv needs remuxing or another conversion which is not ideal.

What matters the most here is Intel asked developers to put in work to remove features from an existing product, instead of improving it. They also abandoned CPUs from the 10th series, which are quite new, 2 years old or so?
    So buyers beware with these corporations.

13. 12 lb Turkey

Nov 24, 2022
    To save time for other users, which Dell file had the Control Panel version you were searching for?

14. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009