Is it possible to recover activation after changing motherboard?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by heartbrake, Sep 14, 2015.

1. heartbrake

heartbrake MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
    So I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The 8.1 copy is legit. It's an OEM DM license. Which means I have a separate OEM key and product key is not embedded in BIOS. So If I change Motherboard and lose my windows 10 activation, is there a way to get it back maybe by calling Microsoft helpline? OR my windows 10 license is gone forever and I will have to revert to Win 8.1?

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I think you can

A) reactivate via phone

B) install w7 on a separate partition or VHD, upgrade it to w10, then start back with your main W10, and delete that partition/vhd

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. akhmedtaia

akhmedtaia MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2013
    #3 akhmedtaia, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
    Look , don't worry baby
    every day, there are a Mak Key's on twitter and facebook

4. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    people say you can reactivate it with phone support but actually for a friend it did not work!!
    it will turn into a disaster for ms in one year when people start complaining.

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #5 PaulDesmond, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
    please do not promote stolen keys:eek:
    Simply consider these were yours and you paid a lot of money for - this is no fun

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cdavisdeco

cdavisdeco MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    #6 cdavisdeco, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Oh.. Are those keys stolen ones?

7. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    They are MAK keys and not allowed to be posted at MDL friend.

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #8 PaulDesmond, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

MAK keys are not available on the Internet for free. Someone paid a lot money for them period:eek:

edit: forgot to mention that the owner of these keys shoots with big weapon against fraudsters ... upon his leisure and for good since it is his money wasted for criminal purpose ...
    ...and when I find one with my keys I will do exactly this > booom

9. cdavisdeco

Jul 8, 2015
    But we both know, there is a Windows 10 Pro MAK key has been posted here in MDL. Right?

10. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009

... and when the owner of it gets notified quite shortly he will react wherever his money was exposed to. If MS gets to know it was MDL a DMCA or other measures are due, believe me

11. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    No they aren't allowed and as soon as seen by admin/mods will be removed. Rules

12. cdavisdeco

Jul 8, 2015
    Both of you are right. But why haven't those keys are still in MDL? Didn't Admins/Mods see those or aren't they aware of those?

13. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009

the more talk about, the more trouble can be > copy?

14. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    I'm lost as to what keys you mean now friend? The link to the MAK keys posted by akhmedtaia were removed from his post as they always are at MDL.

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Basically, for windows 10, NO you can't. The motherboard is tied to the HWID that Microsoft uses to activate win 10, so when the HWID changes you can't get it back, plain and simple.

You do have other options, like the one you posted. Call MS and tell them the MOBO died and that was the replacement and see if they will give you an activation for your legal 8.1.

If they don't, call a few times talking to different people, I have seen where one said no and one said ok.

In the end if they refuse to activate your 8.1 or 10, supposing you tell them you updated, you have plenty of options posted and in the end you can have a activated windows 10, so don't worry, look at this post for other options - here

16. cdavisdeco

Jul 8, 2015
    I wasn't talking about the keys posted by akhmedtaia. Anyway, as Paul said, let's not talk about this further. :)

17. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I had a computer with Windows 7 Ultimate activated via mod bios SLIC 2.1, upgraded to windows 10 Pro 10.240.
    I recently change almost all but case. New Mobo from Z68 to Z170 chipset and of course new Processor and new Graphic card.

Just for fun, I keep the SSD containing Windows 10 on new PC and fire up.... No blue screen , just Windows running white dots circle for a while, then tell me preparing hardware settings like for a new install.
    At the end of the process and after two reboots I got the login screen and desktop.
    Windows remain activated.
    I have no explanation for that.
    Maybe because I have another HDD with latest 10532 version as "Insider" I can plug into the old PC. But it was not used at this time and when I made a fresh Install on the HDD with 10532 version, Windows was activated after loging to my MS account.

18. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    im a just say this. i switched towers. whole machine. my legit windows 8.1 copy activated fine on second machine. no calls needed to ms. then i upgraded to 10 . so its not hard.

19. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Reinstall win 10 clean.

Lets see you activate a clean install now. We have seen people lose activation by adding memory and I have lost it going from RAID GPT to MBR.

And I doubt you will be able to clean install, which is what is offered for the life of that PC, because no matter what OS you upgrade, even Retail, you are given a OEM windows 10, and I don't want to tell people to go ahead and change your MOBO, and then they find out they have nothing.

20. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009