Is it possible to remove/disable the metro interface/making it look more like windows

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ancient, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ancient

ancient MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Hi Guys

Is it possible to remove/disable the metro interface/making it look more like windows?

Thanks

2. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Well Windows 8 already looks like Windows (at least if you don't use Metro) :worthy:

There are some custom made tools to modify Win8 in a way to look like Windows 7. Some tools even bring back the start button. Some are fiddling to somewhat bring back aero in Win8.

I have a some what silly question for you: If you don't want to use the Metro and only want to use the desktop and you are helpless without a start button, why on earth have you installed and use Windows 8? USE WINDOWS 7!

I realy can't understand why so many people installed Windows 8 already and put a ton of time to make a look-alike of Windows 7 out of it. In my opinion a huge waste of time. If you realy have to use Windows 8, because it's the newest Windows and therefore you have to have it, shouldn't be the sole porpuse of installing Windows 8. If you realy have to use the latest Windows 8 use it like MS intented to use it, otherwise use Windows 7!

3. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    if you trim everthing, you are basically running windows 7. So, in your place, I would install 7 instead 8 and save you a lot of headaches (like m$ spying what you install and what not, the store, which is useless by definition and etc)

4. Evanrich

Evanrich MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    LOL fail. Win 8 is so much different than Win 7. Are all cars basically the same because they have four wheels and run on fuel? win 8 has huge changes under the hood, improvements to security, kernel, etc. It's much more than just metro

5. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    :haha: ok, elaborate. And an OS is not a car, you are comparing apples and oranges.

6. daspicer

daspicer MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    I installed the Evaluation 24 days ago. I boot straight to the desktop. I have a Start Menu. And I put the Sidebar back for 3 gadgets that I like. Window 8 is noticeably faster than Windows 7; startup, usage, and shutdown.

7. Luckie

Luckie MDL Junior Member

Jan 14, 2008
    use this patch:

Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/35189-Windows-7-explorer-for-Windows-8

8. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ancient

ancient MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Thanks guys...will be going for the patch.
    As others have pointed out the new os is faster but I personally do not like the metro interface.

10. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    You are certainly not the only one!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    In my experience W8 "feels" faster than W7 if you have a mechanical HD. That's ok.

But my W7 with SSD and Aero Glass turned off _is_ faster than W8, and I don't have any Metro hassle stealing my time.