Is it possible to restore Windows backup to its default state?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mrsharpe, Oct 3, 2010.

1. mrsharpe

mrsharpe MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2010
    #1 mrsharpe, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
    Can the program Windows 7 Backup be restored to its default state?

I've been trying to restore the Windows 7 backup to a default state just like you get when you first run Windows so that there are no previous version of files that are located in backups. Its down to deleteing a backup on a external drive that I had which was just the Users directory in the C drive. Now I have files in Users that have a previous version which is located in the deleted backup file. When I run Windows backup now it fails when creating a shadow copy and exits with a unknown file error. I guess it may be down to either the missing backup and the mediaID.bin file or to traces of the backup in the registry.
    I have tried one registry trick that restores backup to a default state but this does not remove the references to the deleted backup so the quesion to ask here is where are these references located? Is it in the registry or in a file some where in the system directory?
    ls this a possible defect in Windows backup?

2. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Here's what you need to do:

1) Format your PC

2) Install Windows 7

3) Activate it

4) Install Acronis True Image Home 2010 13 Build 6053 (This is the best build)

5) Restart your PC

6) Run Acronis Trua Image Home

7) Create a full backup of your C: partition and save it on D: or to any other location.

8) When you want to revert back to the original state of Windows, just launch Acronis True Image Home and click restore, then direct it to the place where you saved your backup file, within 7 to 10 minutes you'll be back to the same point when you just installed Windows :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mrsharpe

mrsharpe MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2010
    I refer to restoring the program Windows 7 backup to its default state not the actual Windows default state. I deleted a backup on a external drive and the backup was the folder Users in the C directory. When I right click any file in that folder and select restore previous files the link to the file is in the backup. I'am trying to remove these links or references but not sure how to do it.
    In other words can you restore Windows backup to a state where all these previous backup links are gone?

4. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...