is it possible to upgrade to 7260 from 7231?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by greyaburton, Jun 18, 2009.

1. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    #1 greyaburton, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    is there a way to upgrade to 7260 currently using 7231.or clean install only way?(has been answered)

2. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    ive already tried transferring all the files to a folder and editing the cversion file trying different build numbers,but wont work.maybe im using the wrong numbers or is it not possible to do it at all?thanks.

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    please post content of cversion file before and after, and we can help you troubleshoot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    the original was minclient=7077.0minserver=7000.0(in the iso i downloaded) i tried changing both to 7260 and various other combinations that didnt work.changed the 7077 to an earlier 6 version and that didnt work.when i tried this method from the beta to the rc it worked.changed the minclient to 7000.any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

5. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    cause when i tried to upgrade it said i could not because the current version of windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to.windows cannot complete the upgrade(running setup from the original disc i burnt from the original iso file.so something has to be wrong.)on the site engineering windows it said when trying to upgrade from the beta to rc to edit the minclient file,and it worked.thought the same process would work here.

6. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    #6 greyaburton, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  7. PiZZaBoY

PiZZaBoY MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2009
    Yes, you can upgrade. Just start the setup.exe in the compatibility mode as Vista Service Pack 2.

The Upgrade went good for me with this method.

8. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    thats the answer knew someone had the answer.you the man.hope you get a lot of tips pizza man(ha)upgrading as im typing this on my other computer.have a good one.

9. PiZZaBoY

PiZZaBoY MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2009
    No Problem mate - we are here to help each other.

10. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    just finished the upgrade.again thanks.have a good one.

11. Blind_Death

Blind_Death MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2007
    #11 Blind_Death, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    Is it possible to upgrade from 7229 to 7260? How?

sorry, I'm new to upgrades from build to build...

12. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    (try this step first to see if it works.ill explain what to do if you get an error message.cause i upgraded from version 7231 so dont know if you will have the same result)when your computer is running,put in the disc(assuming you have downloaded it and burned it to disc)click run exe.then click install now.follow the instructions(select get updates later when you get to that option) till you get to the window with the option perform upgrade.click upgrade.a compatability scan will run.will take a few minutes.it may tell you that you need to restart windows to update some files.also some programs may not work.(mine said tune up utilities wouldnt work,but it did,but my dvd fab wouldnt,so i had to remove it and install again).close the install window,remove the disc and reboot.now once computer has rebooted,run the install again.now you should be able to upgrade.however if you get the error message that the version of windows your trying to install is earlier than the one your using,have to do this.close the window,and remove the disc.now put the disc back in.this time select open folder to view files.will see install file.click on it once,right click,click properties.in next window click compatability tab on top.click the box run this program in compatability mode.select vista service pack 2.click apply.okay.on the bottom.now double click the install file and install setup will run again.go through the steps again as above.that should work.(hope i havent confused you cause its a lot to explain).couple hints-if you have a lot of video files,misic pictures etc.best to put these on disc and then remove them.that will mean less files to transfer and wont take as long.when the upgrade gets to the point expanding windows files,at a certain point the computer will reboot(will get a message computer is restarting)remove the disc before it starts back up or the install will run again)if successful,will also have to reactivate it using the same keys you used before.when you click on programs like windows media player,windows live,etc.they will reinstall again.(hope you have a printer.can print this out.ha.)any programs that you had before that doesnt work,just uninstall and install again.good luck.

13. Blind_Death

Blind_Death MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2007
    thanks grey, you've been very kind! I'm going to try this as soon as 7260 X64 will be out (if it ever will).

14. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    no problem.i dont use 64,but yeah it is frustrating when something new is released and have to wait for the right one.(i hope the instructions i posted work the same for 64)good luck.(from what i read there wasnt going to be a 64 bit release of this version and you were going to have to wait for the next one.but not sure if this is correct)have a good one.

15. ferrari f-50

ferrari f-50 MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2009
    can i upgrade from build 7000 to build 7260?

16. stasio

stasio MDL Expert

May 3, 2007
    Just start the setup.exe in the compatibility mode as Vista Service Pack 2.
    The Upgrade went good for me with this method.

17. ferrari f-50

ferrari f-50 MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2009

i only see windows xp service pack 2 and windows vista :confused:

18. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Ditto this; quite a lot has changed since then, and 7260 isn't the total final build anyways. (Wzor already talks about a 7262.) You'll be much better off in the long run just doing a clean re-installation.