is it psu?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SpeedDream, Feb 20, 2015.

1. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I visited a customer today who has a desktop computer stuck inside a computer table and
    the fans instead of behind where always on the side against the wood
    (hot place, lots of use) what damage could that have done?

The thing is: Lots of times the computer does shut down directly without any error messages or restart
    in the same way or it would just freeze when booting at the windows 7s "starting" logo phase.
    I checked ram with windows memory diagnostic tool, ram is ok
    when CPU is under heavy load psu voltages drops

do you people agree is the PSU to blame?

specs:

mother: doesn't matter asus m4 something
    processor: phenom x4 965
    ram: 2gb ddr something must be 2 I guess by the processor's age
    psu: generic garbage (no brand) also noticeably small (never seen a PSU so small in size)

I need help I don't have spare parts to test neither the money to buy them

thanks

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Generally speaking, heat is bad for electronics, period.
    Now, debris / dust accumulated during working periods can heat up different parts of the machine.
    Indeed over-heat could damage the PSU, so you can try a spare and see any difference.

3. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I believe it's a hardware issue. I suggest that you consult our peers in the hardware section.Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    can you point me there, i don't find it in the section inside "computing life"

5. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #5 Aninvitedsoul, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    thank you Aninvitedsoul
    I asked there
    just I asked over there, if this can be moved to hardware section would be great
    i asked computer stores they all tell me to bring it over it's a major issue

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Move that machine out of those table and stand it on it!
    Open the machines case look about how much Dust you could already see without to remove any part!!

If you see quite a bit of dust, take the machine to an place where you could use an Air-Blaster to bl;ow out all that dust, still do not remove any part upfront of that!

As that machines uses an AMD CPU, special the Phenom's will shut down automatically if getting to hot.
    The next step should be to remove the CPU Fan, disassemble the Fan from the Heatsink and clean the Heatsink with some solution and water. Check the fan is working correctly by applying power of 12V to the Yellow (+) and Black (-) cables. Assemble the CPU Cooler back to normal! Have some Heatsink Compound Paste ready to apply to the top of the CPU after removed the old one. Place the CPU Cooler back on it's place and connect the power cable correctly.

Check all Fan in the case working correctly, include the one inside the PSU.

Now start the computer without to close the case and let them run with using the Hot-Key for to display the BIOS, in which you open the part which shows the CPU Temperature and keep an eye on it how hot it will go.

I don't think that the PSU is the problem rather than overheating of the CPU! We cleaning every 3-4 month the CPU Coolers of the computers of our customers which whom we've an Service Contract and in our own Company as well. At my Home and my Company we mainly using AMD CPU's and I know about the overheating problems of them very well.

8. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    wow thanks for all the info, stress tested a little the processor temps don't go really far (64 C) and there's not much dust since previous tech support guy did some cleaning once in a while, still bugs me
    why he did not install a cooler on the back and just one in the left which was like choking against the table's wood.

9. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Among all the things mentioned so far, I would also be looking for bulging or leaky capacitors on the motherboard.

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  11. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    #13 MysTikAL3, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I would check these also since ram's OK...

1) BIOS causing instability - update it.

2) Could simply be dealing with a thrashed/corrupt OS..:yes:
    If their system is years old then clean reinstall...;)
    OR
    Pop in a spare HDD and clean install a fully updated Windows 7 from this source;

Usb install will only take about 20-30minutes.
    Run stress tests and watch temps, voltages

Look's like we've covered just about everything but replacing the PC, lol
    :)

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's a problem of the Phenom CPU, me think! If the Temperature for an 965 goes above 57°C it start's to first slow down. Now it's depend also how correct the Temp Sensor is still working! Many of those starting failing after some 2-3 year and mis-interpreting the temperature and showing lower than actual results! That those CPU you use is quite Power hungry is also fact: 125-145 Watts!!And just for the CPU!! We had those 965's and replaced all of them after 2-3 years because of overheating! Luckly, those CPU's hardly burning to dead, they just power down and maybe restarting directly if not switching off totally. That's depend on the MB and it's BIOS!

For Heatsink Compound I suggest to use a so called Arctic Silver which isn't cheap but never dry's out and work at all time to 100%!

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  14. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    thanks for all the input guys once they bring it over I'll check CPU with core temp and also give it a good clean, I'm gonna check if the thermal grease dried out and reinstall windows from murphys' ISO (they want 7)

The computer is not overclocked but was choking with warm air returning from the wood all around it. the heatpipes in the cooler were warm.