Is it safe to delete the WDI logs in System32\wdi folder ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ceo54, Apr 1, 2021.

1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hi,

I just installed and configured the Ccleaner, I chose to remove the wdi logs as I usually do with all the logs but now system boots slower. Someone over at the technet saying that the .etl logs in System32\wdi folder are used to make the initialization of the computer faster and therefore it boots lot faster.

However, I always thought Windows Diagnostics Infrastructure was related to drivers or something similar. So the question what does Windows Diagnostics Infrastructure actually do on the computer and is it safe to delete it's logs without compromising the system performance ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    No one can tell me about this ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #3 kaljukass, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Probably no one has tested it, but as much as I have found out about it, there are wall-to-wall opinions.
    Some say that the number of uti starts faster, while others say the opposite.
    But you have an easy way to test it all yourself.
    Just rename this folder or export it somewhere else and see what happens.
    Of course, you may have problems transporting it if you do not have administrator rights and the folder is protected by the system, but you can always change the permissions. I hope, You know how.
    So, try and you will get the answer to your question.

As far as I know, not only are there .log, .etl, etc. files, but there are also recordings that are always made before the computer restarts.

4. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Thank you for the response kaljukass. Ccleaner has already removed the logfiles in addition to one more .etl file which Boostspped would never remove. Now the startup speed is on the slower side, not by a big margin, just a little but still It's not enough for me to conclude anything.

You just pointed out the best method to test and see, now I don't have anything in the folder to backup, maybe after the next install.

Thank you for the response again, highly appreciated.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If you have an empty folder and no significant changes, there is nothing more to try or test.
    If the folder is missing, you may receive an error message, or Windows will create a new folder.
    So I don't think it helps to start faster, there has to be something else that makes the start up slower than it normally has.

6. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    I totally agree with you here kaljukass. I have an empty folder and it's better to leave it that way than to get BSoD.