Is It Safe To Use Real Email On Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by metalmilt, Oct 5, 2012.

1. metalmilt

metalmilt MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    I was wondering if it's safe to use my actual email address or should i just make a new phony one and roll with that. I've searched around and seems i've seen people say either "don't worry about it" or something along the lines "you may get banned". Just like to clarify before i jump on board. I've researched everything else there is to know or do to get 8 up and running. Thanks for your time.

-Milt:eek:

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Hm, I would say, just in case you're doing something like using W8 illegally, really just in case, they get you with a fake or your real e-mail address simply checking with your isp if they want to ...

3. supisiche

supisiche MDL Junior Member

Aug 31, 2010
    If you use a fake email you wont get the right "social" updates and other crap, since its fake and unrelated to your true, main account. So setup an offline profile :D

Idk if MS can ban your account.

4. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    People put out some sorry..stupid thought.. I used their email program though I dont really care for it just to simple. I do use my msn to sign on. Its the $2b building in Utah being built by nsa people should really wonder about.

Never read those kind of posts. Something like this would be headline news everywhere. But like everything in life takes just one spark of doubt...

5. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    You have the option of 'logging in' with a Microsoft account, or use a local account. If you use a local account you will be fine :). You will also be fine if you use Windows Live Mail too, it's actually much simpler and easier to use than Web Hotmail (if your email you are talking about is Hotmail).

6. ReelFiles

ReelFiles MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    Been using legit MS accounts on several PCs, no problem.

7. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #7 derausgewanderte, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    ok, let's say you use your legit live or Hotmail or outlook email address that you have been using with MS for years. Let's say MS for whatever reason (please educate me if I have missed the point here) finds out that you are using Windows 8. What does it take to find out whether you are using an installation with a legal key or legal KMS. What does it take to find out that you were using a KMS that you are not allowed to use? Let's finally assume MS finds out that you are indeed using an activation via a KMS server that you really shouldn't be using (a KMS server that activates Windows8 machines doesn't make the user that activates his Windows8 via said KMS machine a criminal). The most that will happen is that you get a notice that "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting ...". This was always the case in the past, whether you used a hack on XP or an activator that got exposed on 7 or Vista.
    Nobody will disable your email account unless you are given the chance to remove your counterfeit copy of Windows 8.
    If you on the other hand are trying to sell keys or copies of Windows 8, then they will be motivated to track you etc.

Everything else about how possibly dangerous or "stupid" it is to use your actual email account are scare tactics and bad jokes.

Meine zwei Groschen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    No need for MS to know your e-mail addy. As said by PaulDesmond above, if they want to convince you, they have your IP, so just have to request to your ISP ... And you are done. :excl:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. doggod

doggod MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    The reason I did a clean install to an offline account from one where I used my Hotmail account was they put my name and email address on the Start screen for anyone
    to see when passing by me. On a small tablet or even smaller phone screen this wouldn't be as much of an issue but on a 17" screen anyone
    within 10 feet of me would be able to make it out.

10. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    #10 derausgewanderte, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    sorry to say that I believe that this belongs to the category of bad jokes.
    big brother watching you - yes, I agree that this is something possible in the future. But not from a company like MS. Politicians and certainly military regimes will try to take advantage of that.
    If that is something I should anticipate then I have bigger problems than Windows 8 activation....

11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    the paranoia is around since George Orwell :D

12. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    use linux,open source

13. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    if you read my posts you'd see that I do actually understand. But anyway, good for you.

14. ozky

ozky MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    I don't have had any problems to use my real hotmail account,and i don't think microsoft will nevew going to blocking those accounts because it needs too much time to do it.

15. Izlude

Izlude MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    Sorry to bump this topic, but I know folks are still paranoid. I can assure you 110% that you're not going to get in trouble for using a pirated version of Windows. You will get in trouble only if you've committed the following: Selling copies, Distributing Keys, Hacking, Modifying the OS (Copyright Laws). Those are big No-No's. The reason you can't get in trouble for "USING" it is because there are businesses out there selling computers with pirated windows and shoppers aren't knowledgeable about this. There are laws that protect people from things like this. There are also anti-trust laws/privacy laws etc... All MS can do is "hope" you feel guilty and go out to buy a copy, which is probably what I'll do.. I just want the box :p