Is it stable enough?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by KeithGS, Oct 28, 2014.

1. KeithGS

KeithGS MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2010
    Hello,

I was wondering what the community thought about the stability of the Windows 10 Preview release, if it would be a good idea to install it as your primary desktop since Microsoft is continuously pushing patches to the OS..

I see a lot of websites saying "Don't use it for primary use!"

Is this not a good idea? Do you use it as your primary desktop? What is your experience?

2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    For a preview it's very good. Not running as primary but have all 8.1 apps installed and no real problems so far. Some minor glithes thus not ready as primary.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I've been testing it recently as a system install rather than a vm install.
    It seems exactly as stable as 8.1, which is unsurprising as 8.1 was solid as diamond.

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Word I have is that its still a bit unstable Murphy. Got a friend of mine whose testing it out as well.

I'd wait for an official beta either way :p

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm not seeing any stability issues. I'm guessing any people having problems are trying to use custom unsupported drivers or a/v programs.

6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Agree - had one BSOD with a manual defender update but a reboot sorted that out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    It all depends on your use if you wanted to use for daily normal tasks than its stable as i didn't find any problem in using it till now
    If you are a rough user and starts doing experiments than its not that much rock stable

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As MS pointed it out very clear, you should NOT use the OS for primary use. If you do, you do completely on your own Risk. It's strongly suggested to read the Pre-Release Notes for the Windows 10 TP before installing and use. You should ackknowledge that MS is collecting all data from your machine running the TP, that includes all of your personal data as well.

If you don't mind about that, go ahead but complain about it!

Fact is, it runs well and very stable, still is in Alpha stage if not still a Milestone!

9. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Just wondering... I've seen a few posts labelling this as alpha/pre-beta ... is that official?

AFAIK alpha is for dev testing... once it reaches UAT it's beta.:confused:

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK Technical Previews of MS are mainly Milestone 2 or 3, means stage before Alpha! Consumer Previews are Pre-Betas, means Alpha

11. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Be that as it may... very strange development cycle... definitely not what they taught me when doing my MCSD.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's true! On the other hand MS is shorten the dev cycle and needs more infos about what they're 'brewing' right now. So they inserted an Key logger and stronger telemetry. For not to shocking the users to much, they 'talked' about it vbery clearly in the Pre-Installation Notes so the users are aware of it.

How many user were taken the time for to even read that notes, you could see on this forum!

And it's not only about MS software, it's about any Pre-Release's form any developer, it really should be taken with caution and realizing that the use of them is totally on their own risk!

13. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    Clearly as many people have stated, this is pre-alpha state and only as a Technical Preview which is essentially constantly evolving and things that work in one build, may not in another build. So there's going to be bumps in the road, no doubt. It should not be used as a primary OS, as Microsoft states as well as other members here. Better to wait for Consumer Preview and such.

Having said that, though, I enjoy using bleeding edge software and I also enjoy providing feedback as well as bug reports for certain software. I have been using WTP as primary OS with the initial Tech Preview and now 9860. I must point out though that it is a much better experience creating an .ISO image for the build and installing clean for best results compared to upgrade installs. I have had absolutely zero crashes, freezes, blue screens, etc. I have to admit, it's been as rock solid as Windows 8.1, as murphy78 stated as well. Everything works exceptionally well on my system, particularly after enabling auto-driver-install option to install drivers automatically over Windows Update behind the scenes.

Keep in mind that it's important to do regular backups, disk images as well with software such as Macrium Reflect FREE Edition, and equally important to keep sensitive data and files on a separate partition or hard drive in case of data loss or other failures. You always have to expect the unexpected!

No antivirus running here as per my usual, just running EMET 5, SRP as well as my usual OS hardening techniques. It's been quite a flawless experience thus far. Just don't always expect that same experience though, particularly from build to build.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stability is no attribute to make a decision if it is good for primary use. It is not its purpose, not even according to M$!!!

Stability / compatibility can rapidly change during WU and is hardware / application dependent.

I don’t know what your ‘primary use’ is, but tbh it can’t be that important when asking such a question…there is absolutely no support for this and for the applications running on it.

15. Mrox2

Mrox2 MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2014
    It's my primary OS, still more stable than 8/8.1 all together Lol. :tongue2:

16. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    as stated, that could change with a single update and force your hardware to need new drivers that your oem hasn't released hehe

imagine waking up the system with 640x480 video, no sound and your networks are toast. I do love that excitement :D

17. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Sounds like you never really used Win 8.1 Update 1 :g:.

18. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    AFAIK, everything that is pre-beta means it is technically alpha, there's not a difference between milestones and alpha, milestones are just development steps in the alpha stage, and pre-beta is essentially just another name for alpha (what else could pre-beta mean?). Per the definition I'm familiar with, the alpha stage means the product is very much in flux, features are constantly added, tested, eventually approved or removed, and everything new might be buggy and unreliable. Following that is the beta stage, providing a quite solid set of features that are planned to be shipped. It might not be feature locked down, but usually developers eventually get updated SDK versions at his point so they can start playing around with the new APIs and stuff. All the features get refined, and not much is added or removed in this stage. The last stage is release candidate, which represents a feature and API locked down version of the product. There are no big changes in this stage, it is all about refinement, polish, and eliminating bugs until there a no more showstoppers and they can declare it RTM.

Therefore, I'd say we're currently in alpha, and I'd expect the consumer preview to be beta because consumer preview is essentially just another name for beta. What's different in the process this time is that outsiders (I mean insiders :D) are allowed to actively participate in the alpha process via testing and giving feedback. I wouldn't recommend to use anything alpha on a daily basis or even in a production environment. Stability doesn't have anything to do with alpha or beta per se, there can be serious issues in beta releases just as well, but due to the rapid-changing nature of an alpha release, it is more likely to happen early in the development process.

19. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008