Is linux the lightest OS for old PC ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by BabySitter, Apr 28, 2014.

1. BabySitter

BabySitter MDL Junior Member

Jan 26, 2014
    #1 BabySitter, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    I have an outdated PC with
    Celeron D processor (very old and slow)
    Asus P5SD2-VM
    1gb ram
    Nvidia geforce 210

so i need the lightest OS for that PC cuz i run Win 7 on it and its very slow :mad:
    is the Linux the lightest OS ? if so what version should i choose ?
    and what about programs like IDM and torrent is it will work on Linux ?
    and what about drivers like sound and VGA and internet it will work ?

2. pamadhilwankalan

pamadhilwankalan MDL Junior Member

Nov 16, 2013
    #3 pamadhilwankalan, Apr 28, 2014
    well....in comparison with Windows, Linux is to some extent lighter than Windows. but if u expect Linux on old pc with very poor resources run fast...i don't think so. now u see atleast 1GB of RAM is needed to run Ubuntu.

and as Knive suggested try ubuntu. this is the most popular and best OS distro in Linux platform. i am writting this answer using Ubuntu 14.4 (Trusty Tahr)

3. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yes Linux is the quickest.. IMHO may as well give the baby/puppy/portable stuff a miss.. they are slower and feature-less...try a few distro's live and see what works best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BabySitter

Jan 26, 2014
    Guys u didn't answer my question yet about will sound and internet and VGA will work fine ? and the programs like IDM and Utorrent will work ?
    and can i use internet streaming ? and watching online ?
    and what is the fastest and the best Lubuntu or Ubuntu ?
    Whazzupsuperfly i don't know what u mean ?!
    i just need the fastest one but it can watch online and work the sound and VGA and net

5. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #6 Superfly, Apr 28, 2014
    All those features are available... some apps are Windows only but there is JDownloader, qBittorrent, Firefox/Chrome streaming etc... thus I said try it out and see what you need...I'm sure old drivers should be supported.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Knives*

Knives* MDL Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Very likely yes to all except uTorrent. As Wazzupsuperfly said, there is qBittorrent which works very well and the same way. Nothing is ever guaranteed to work but with having such an old system, it will probably be supported just fine. Give any of the Linux distributions suggested a try and find out which one you like.

Yes.

I'd say avoid Ubuntu. It will be a bit more laggy on your system than the lighter alternatives based on Ubuntu. The lighter versions suggested above would be better options for your older system.

Try doing some research online if you want instant answers without putting in any effort yourself. Or try them all and see what works best for you. The only way you'll know which one is best is if you do a little research then pick one or try them all.

To try a distro live is to put it onto a USB and run it from there without actually installing it onto your hard drive (or SSD). There are also online demos, but they won't reflect how responsive your system will be since they're all run as simulations.

I'm glad you're trying Linux. Just know that if you don't like it within the first few hours or first day, then keep at it for a week or two to make a final decision. If you've used Windows for a long time, Linux takes a bit of getting used to. But once you're used to it, you'll love it.

All the best!

7. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #10 RJARRRPCGP, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    I doubt the kernel and stuff under the hood uses more than about 256 MB at idle. Windows Vista and later require 512 MB for itself!

It's probably Unity being the RAM hog, if ordinary Ubuntu now requires 512 MB+ for itself! Because I doubt Lubuntu and Xubuntu do.

Windows Vista and later uses more RAM at idle and swaps a lot more than Linux.

8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Tend to agree Unity uses more RAM... but it does it very well - some have found Ubuntu faster cause of it LOL

Also agree with you guys - given that all that is required is online stuff, a lightweight distro like Lubuntu/Puppy should be fine.

Will be interested to hear the outcome of the OP's tests on that rig...

9. BabySitter

Jan 26, 2014
    I'm suffering enough from this stuff and since there is not an clear answer of What the lightest OS and its version ? i think i will stick with Win 7

10. rivapic

rivapic MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2014
    It depends of desktop enviroment, gnome kde are heavy but others like xfce lxde and more are very light.

11. Knives*

Knives* MDL Member

Sep 21, 2013
    #14 Knives*, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    You want a clear answer regarding the lightest Linux OS there is? Here you go:

*Edit*
    Link removed.

I dont want you to suffer further. :(

12. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Mint is a solid OS, its faster on a low spec PC than Windows and its nice to use, Mint also has a huge repository of free software.

Just make sure you choose the "Mate" release as its designed for low end machines.

Mint is based on Ubuntu, but its better in every respect, just Google it to see how well respected Mint is.

13. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    "dsl = damn small linux"

14. ismethere

ismethere MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Yes it is, Linux mint is the best for me...

15. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Fedora and Red Hat are currently in use here, but MINT is my desktop of choice usually. It is a solid distro.

16. YessMann

YessMann MDL Member

Nov 27, 2012
    #19 YessMann, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    No!! DSL is good for 80386...
    Its performance is worser than win98 on computers >P4
    I tried it and uninstall ASAP.
    Don't use this toy !!
    this thread holder is using celeron d, 2core ...
    Ubuntu 1404 is a choice.
    If u don't like unity, try Ubuntu gnome.

17. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Haven't tried it myself.. but thanks for the feedback...;)