is linux viable?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nodnar, Jan 7, 2016.

1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    Okay, now that I tried out linux mint, maybe, just maybe, I am ready to evaluate.
    I am using a lappy by lenovo that will not set the world alight, no wonder, I bought
    it for 20 euros.i walked out from everything I knew, w7, because m$ got smart.
    They invented the meaningless word telemetry. And I turned my back on them as a paying
    customer. I may be a spoiled brat. I am used to software being just a click away.
    Mint comes with firefox. I heartily detest it. It devoures resources. I have used dillo.
    No java, but in windose just a click a way. But, what about linux? You will have to
    type idiotic sudo apt commands in terminal. And it will not work.needless to say.
    Same with firewalls, linux comes with a firewall. You can give yourself migraine
    with updating ip-s but all you want to know, is a pop-up, hey mister, that software
    is calling home. Block? y/n? Now, there exists such a thing. Leopard flower. But it
    has to be sudo apt assambled! Does not work, of course. Now this is the reason
    why spoiled brats like me who grew up with windose will never adopt linux.
    Okay, I did, and I like it, and I fear m$ will continue to get away with making
    spyware, because of that. Linux sudo apt go -get an installer!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Just to throw in my 2 bobs worth, Pale Moon is the browser to try. I've been using it exclusively for a couple of month now, and its been fantastic.

Also to add, I've been able to install every one of my firefox add-ons to Pale Moon without issue. Its super fast, isn't a resource hog, add-ons work great, and its got some great theming options if your into that sort of thing.

I'm also using it with Win10 and the MacBook Pro. Though with the Mac its called New Moon.

4. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I have an ultimate answer: YES if you are not a gammer (there are games made for Windows only or for OS X) and about that command line,a normal user will never know that terminal even exists..many Linux distro's makers had great work to do this.
    I use now Manjaro Linux Deepin : NO need to use terminal,even my orange modem was automatically configured,and it comes with Chrome by default...

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    It is nodnar.
    Anyway it depends on individualism/will to eventually resign what is/was common/comfortable in order to get rid of M$'ses idea of a new OS.
    So the question actually always is: How strong is the personal idea for a change?

Speaking of Linux generally is not useful. Mint is a distro close to win. And it has something like a free app store (software manager).
    I would say for common use one don't need a single terminal command nowadays. If your hardware runs well with it, you're fine. Additional apps can be installed via manager, quite easy.

And we have people migrating/have migrated to a Linux disrto. Just drop a post if you have any special questions. :)

Sure win games do not run on Linux just like a xbox game does not run on PS4.....
    But you can still use w7 if needed for special apps, no problem.
    meanwhile I am using mint ~95% for my works at home...no antivir, no firewall (I am behind of a router)....

6. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    No anti-virus and no firewall, amen to that.

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  8. bergy37

bergy37 MDL Member

Dec 23, 2015
    great post Michaela

9. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Yes it is! :D
    I did - thanks to John and all folks here from this amazing community - dual-boot my machine with Mint and W7. :clap::cool:

It is completely worth it! I was in the insider program and said farewell to w10 when the telemetry reports were all over the place.

Now I'm a beginner in the Linux world and probably won't never ever move to w10. :tasty: