Is microsoft monitoring illegal activations?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by darct, Jan 15, 2014.

1. darct

darct MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    So, recently I activated my windows 8.1 copy with KSMpico. Then later i read on thread that i should've blocked traffic to an ip address, where kms activation send information to microsoft. I was offline during the installation, but is there a chance it has sent microsoft some information? Also, are they taking any legal actions on these kind of stuff?

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea just keep an eye out the window for the men in black, if they catch you activating against a dodgy KMS server they wipe your machine and install Windows Vista RTM on it and force you to use it for 1 year solid, they also remove your cable / DSL and install dialup 14.4k instead

Be very careful indeed, it is a punishment worse than death itself

3. darct

darct MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    Lol, gotta admit that im a paranoid when it comes to these kind of things xD But i don't have any money to pay for anything so.. :D

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I guess the OP has deserved a serious reply. It is likely that M$ is monitoring the illegally activated installs. No matter which method is used or if an IP has been blocked or not.
    Anyway they did neither go after the tools themselves yet, nor one user has reported that he got into trouble yet.

It is of course the user's own risk and responsibility to apply such tools / methods.
    We have received DMCA takedown requests which we are following always. They did neither affect KMS tools nor Daz loader so far.
    I hope this answers your questions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    On the brighter side, they most likely monitor all installs, both legal and illegal. I think we are past the days where data isn't being collected in some form, for whatever reasons.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    That is true. They do not know in advance if it is an illegal installation or not, so it's best for them to record any. :D:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yeah, better safe than sorry lol

8. darct

darct MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    So i guess i should be safe when activating w 8.1 and office, and renewing them?

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    more than likely, unless you are on the "Watch list" for major kingpin type pirate distributions and or crimes against Bill Gates lack of style and baggy clothes.

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Yes they are monitoring your installs. They may or may not necessarily know whether or not your system has activated using a kms activator.
    Unless you are selling counterfeit dvds, I doubt they would do much about it.

Think about how they would solve your situation. Would they make a small class-action lawsuit and pay a lawyer a few thousand dollars to sue you for the 50-200 dollars that you avoided paying?

They already know a strategy to defeat most of the piracy and it includes bundling windows with every new system and having online features.
    It's only a matter of time before it's so complicated to try to circumvent the activation that it no longer becomes worth bothering for most people.
    I can imagine having fake cloud servers would be cost prohibitive to the piracy method.

Why do they call it software piracy anyway? Piracy is taking things by force...

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Yea they are monitoring but there isn't much they can really do about it. That being said most of the time such an isue really is null and void.

12. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    #13 david_xross_2, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Yes..they are monitoring, but they probably wouldn't target a person for using pirated Windows, unless that person is actively pirating and distributing illegally their software (They wouldn't waste their resources on a small target, economically not feasible)..The most they can do is deactivate illegal installations by a WAT update or something(that is feasible)..and since they haven't done that since Windows 8..It means they are comfortable with piracy :D

13. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    M$ doesn't go for small fish. :fish2::fish2::fish2:

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Actually there is really no need for an illegal activation through tools, mod BIOSES for SLIC or to apply a loader. I was very involved in BIOS modding, it is fun.:)
    There are several other 'methods' if one really needs to use their OS.

Unlimited rearm (w7 only)
    COA sticker serial from another machine which is activated via OEM-SLP, or any other way except COA-SLP (w7 only).

MSDM serial from a w8 preistalled PC either phone activated on a second machine OR used the first time on another machine. Many users are running w7 on a w8 licensed machine and can 'share' it.

Many companies have w8 MSDM serials in the MSDM table of their client machines but do never migrate to w8. Or have a COA sticker on their machines and have a corporate MAK / KMS license (means one is double and left)....

There are ways to get a license, let's say not the way M$ wants, but without to use activation tools....:)....just be creative. Many licenses are 'unused'....or can be used 'twice'.

15. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  16. sanjose

sanjose MDL Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Hi All,

Just curiosity, I've bought a HP Laptop installed Windows 8. I used RW-Everything to extract Product Key on MSDM table.

Is it Legal or Illegal to use that product key for activating another computer :tea: ??

Thanks for your concern.

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    technically you cannot use the key since it is bound to that particular system (Every win8 machine gets a unique key now). with that said, you can usually call them and say you have changed your motherboard or what have you to possibly get activation that way on another pc. More people here can probably explain that from their expiratence

18. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I would go further and say that any form of method that is classified as not a genuine Microsoft windows product key activation is a form of illegal activation. There are many ways to subvert the activation or licensing but the effort to go after so many people using these means simply isn't worth it. Microsoft makes much of its money off of the OEM's which it didn't please with windows 8.

I've had cases where I use legit Multiple Activation Keys from school so its easy to distinguish between legal and illegal in this circumstance.

19. magnus33

magnus33 MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    They couldn't care less about going after the average joe installing windows.

Its just no cost effective and efficient to go after the little guy but it makes perfect sense to go after someone selling 1000 of disk for profit.

The record industry had to learn this the hard way basically because they seem to be thicker then lead.

This doesn't mean they wont try and block methods of installing windows but they never bother with the little guy.