Is Microsoft shorten the Time of New Windows Release to 1 Year?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, Nov 30, 2012.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. win98_SE

win98_SE MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2012
    sigh.... So long Windows 9, if its even in the planning... After Blue Clues...

3. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    I'm not calling Windows Blue a new version of Windows :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cosmic101

Cosmic101 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2012
    Microsoft are trying to change their whole business model, to something similar to Apple and Samsung & Google it appears.
    As the really big money seems to have shifted to making your own hardware and OS.
    So they might very well change their road map in my opinion, similar to Apple who pretty much give upgrades of their OS away for a really low price but lock it into their own hardware.
    "Times they are a changing".

5. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    all over again?. I mean, they try to do this with windows 95 (they said they gonna release a new version of the OS like a new car, every year a new model) and fail. And then again with windows 98, and fail, again. The only way they could success this time is by releasing the OS for FREE, and even, they would fail.
    Google does this but every six month, and FOR FREE.
    Apple does this since OSX, they release a "new" OS every year or two. And tbh, its only a service pack, nothing more, no big improvements.

6. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Biggest failures where Windows ME and Windows Vista ... i also think Windows 8 might fail because of older pc users.

7. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    How is Windows 8 going to fail because of older PCs? I can see it failing because of the whole "Force touch on everyone" & "The new start menu" but not because of older hardware. Windows 8 has the same exact system requirements as Vista and Windows 7.

8. aarongreater

aarongreater MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    I think the very reason for speeding up releasing every next version of Windows is that Microsoft don't want to replay the story when Windows Vista had been released for years, people still used Windows XP. For those days, not to say Windows XP was better than any other thing, just because there was no good OS could replace it. If Windows 8 would be proved to be another Windows Vista, Microsoft could have used their new release to get over this ugly situation.

Even though Metro, to some extends, is really charming. But its focus is set on applications rather than programmes. Different kind of apps could be implemented with same kind of programme. But programme itself is hard to modelised for some a specific purpose, but always leaving room for future re-use. If traditional desktop GUI could do everything better, what Metro brings up is really trouble. For desktop computer, the importance of Metro is not that prominent. Lacks of Glass and Aero effect, and too much higher screen resolution requirement making Windows 8 lose many more existing devices and user-space, in turn make the Metro app just laying on that dock without any use at all. If we could get back to the days Windows Vista released, so many low end GPUs could never satisfy Windows Desktop Manager. For this very reason the appearance is really a disaster, too much ugly. I think that is the reason why people did not want to use Windows Vista. Even though Windows Desktop Manager could also implemented in the underlying software in Windows 8, but the requirement of Metro would drove so many devices out of work. And people this time downgrade back to Windows 7 or XP, is just for the reason of Metro itself.

Metro is great! But the screen resolution it requires does really a bad job. One million wishes that Microsoft could get along with this limitation in their following version of Windows.

9. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    FTFY. This is what the coming OS releases are really going to be about.

They are indeed... for the benefit of corporations, not users.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Like Apple was it all times!

Isn't it kind logic that MS start going the same way as Apple? Bad for the user's of MS software but?!

11. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    It sounds like MS is simply re-branding Service packs as releases. As long as the price for "upgrade" is cheap and include features and improvements then I wouldn't mind that marketing strategy. If it turns out to be simply update rollups.....

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's exactly what Apple is doing for years since the first release of OS-X! The difference between OS-X and iOS is about the same as between Windows 8 and Windows RT! iPad's running on Arm Processors and using iOS while the first Surface runs on Arm and uses Windows RT! Both different and both similar!

Regarding pricing, it seems to be that MS is also changing the whole strategy of pricing started with Windows 8. If MS is carry on what they had started already, and in light that the going down to 1 year cycle, the price should come down further. The future will show what will happen.