Is MS account necessary to get free Windows 7 SP1 Home to Windows 10 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Aug 29, 2015.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I need to install Windows 10 on top of Windows 10 for a user who refuses to use MS accounts (for any Windows version), only local ones. Does that mean Windows 10 will not activate after being upgraded from Windows 7 and THEN re-installed cleanly on raw formatted drive?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. freevista

freevista MDL Junior Member

Jan 14, 2009
    No need for MS accounts, the license is per machine.

3. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    A hardware ID will be created, so there is no need for any Microsoft based accounts. Local accounts are fine for upgrading and clean installing afterwards. You only need to be *online* while upgrading from 7/8 to 10.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. freevista

Jan 14, 2009
    Yep, and the OP could approach it in this way too:

Is the W7 installation old and bloated? If not, just do the upgrade and be done with it. If it is bloated, clean install W7 instead, activate it and then upgrade to W10. The in-place upgrade is much better and cleaner process than in the past years. It will install the same clean OS image, and only after then transfers the software, registry keys etc. 'old stuff' on top of it. But if the W7 install is bare and clean, W10 will be practically as clean as a real clean install (after getting rid of the Windows.old with disk cleanup of course).

I've read reports on this forum that some people have had activation problems in a scenario like the OP posted. I'm guessing that the problems might be related to that they rush to the clean install immediately after getting the upgraded W10 activated, and so the license is not yet cached/stored at Microsoft..

5. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Would activation work if Windows 10 gets installed on a different SSD? Per-machine means per-motherboard, correct? Or is it per-motherboard + per-CPU?

6. freevista

Jan 14, 2009
    If only SSD changes, that preserves the activation. The exact details are Microsoft's secret, but the motherboard contains so many hardware components that changing it would most like result in deactivation.

7. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    When I tested Windows 10 I changed SSD,HDD and my CPU without loosing activation.