Is MSI a reliable brand?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by weaveR, May 4, 2012.

1. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    #1 weaveR, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. pierrejaquet

pierrejaquet MDL Member

Jan 14, 2010
    #2 pierrejaquet, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
    I buyed a msi gt780r and I must say it handle gaming 100% at max graphics but I would not buy a msi again...but instead an alienware. Why ?

1) After 1 month the touchpad stopped working but strangely it fixed itself 24 hours later lol so i'm lucky I guess because I found a thread that all msi gt780r have a retarded touchpad that doesn't work.
    but still I payed 2000 so this is unacceptable...:death:

2) linux support sucks ! no drivers working at all....I have to use special boot options to launch a live cd :mad:

3) wtf no physical eject button for cd :bashtroll:

so i guess sticking with a popular brand is better because you always have better support for your model and if something doesn't work everyone knows about it and you can read about it online before buying it.

Me I was lucky for now my msi works mostly well.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Every brand has good products and bad ones. Also they make different products. (Mainboards, gaphics cards, notebooks and so on...)

I assume you want to know if MSI is a reliable brand for motherboards. Mostly yes. MSI is IMHO a decent brand.
    I myself prefer Asus mainboards when building a PC though....a friend uses MSI mainboards and is very happy with them, I myself had a MSI graphic card, which was a good one as well...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. half Man Half Biscuit

half Man Half Biscuit MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2011
    I´m using a MSI motherboard currently for 1 year and all i can say,i never had any problems at all.

I think it depends on what you need it for,as Yen said.
    Every Brand has good and bad things so all in all i would say it´s good (MSI). :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    I build my own puters and ive used asus, msi and others. on my last build i used MSI 890gxm-g65 with 8gb of corsair vengeance with an amd 965 black edition with an ati hd 6950 graphics card. and like YEN said you have good and bad this last one i put together "MSI" works great easy to OC
    its stable at 3.85 plays skyrim-rage and anything i throw at it with out stuttering :jockey: . so i would look at reviews on the mobos your looking to buy on google the manufactures will all ways tell you their board is best :) so good hunting ;)

6. JQP

JQP MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2012
    Haha, I just came into the thread to say that I started buying only Gigabyte boards since I got tired of buying dead boards, boards that wouldn't POST, etc., and cite MSI as the most recent example of DOA board. It was more than a year ago, though. I guess what they say is true: YMMV.

I'm going to keep buying Gigabyte boards until they bite me on the ass. After that my money's up for grabs.

I don't think there is such a thing as a reliable brand. Maybe just reliable price points? I tend to go as cheap as I can for my minimum feature set.

7. shepscrook

shepscrook MDL Novice

May 30, 2013
    MSI is a very reliable brand. They use some very quality parts as well as they design boards for INTEL. Many enthusiast and media boards that INTEL has, were actually designed by MSI. You can also compare some of the boards side by side and they are virtually identical, save that for some changes in capacitors.

Top brands that I've seen:
    Intel, MSI, Gigabyte, Asus (ASRock is gaining momentum) Foxconn is a budget intel/msi build.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive had mixed experiences with MSI . older was sorta bad .. no posts a lot had to reset cmos a lot.

friend had an issue with one recently and turned out it was either win7 x64 or the 870 amd chipset or the source iso he used.. so not sure on that issue.. hardware > nah software apparently.

so i dont totally trust MSI but wont pass it off as total crap either.. its doable if reviews show no issues.

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Of course it is reliable as per my experience (MSI x58, 2009-11), and MSI GTX560 GPU (2011-...). So are ASUS (my present MB) and Gigabyte (never owned one since perhaps 2004-05).

10. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    I've been using MSI since the P45 chipsets. So far two dozen Intel motherboards and zero problems. They have been good to me.

Before that I used ASUS but a board developed a problem and their customer service gave me hell. Never again. ASUS is overrated and overpriced. Then I tried Gigabyte. What a piece of junk that GA-965P-DS3 board. The only thing durable about it was its ability to boot loop.

MSI's video cards are pretty good. I have a 660ti 2GB/OC PE Twin Frozer. It's built like a tank.

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try a kt133 board from msi.. total junk (2001)
    but i think it was partially due to the Via chipset

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @trodas

You just draw the conclusion from a board which is almost 12 years old!! I have successfully updated bioses of numerous socket 775, 1155, 1150 MSI boards without any hitch.

:popcorn:

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive had to use the dos from hirensbootcd.. custom size, no ramdrive to flash before
    freedos didnt work right on it.
    also that awdflash is very old. i think 8.x has better luck

u can try hotswap bios to flash original back.

14. Emy12

Emy12 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    I have MSI 7790OC, it is working fine, but the MSI-exclusive Propeller Blade technology is a big fail, 20% more airflow and 20% more noise. At 1600 rot/min the noise is like being in a plane...I compared it with Gigapyte GTX 650 fan at the same speed, the GTX is far more quiet.
    The positive side of MSI is the with MSI Afterburner I can set the speed to 1000 rot/min, and yes, I can say that at that speed is just fine for my needs. GTX is set from factory to lowest speed of 1500 rot/min.

15. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Sounds like you need a vBIOS mod. I can't stand the "Dust Removal Technology" on my MSI. I plan to mod its BIOS to reduce the startup fan speed.