Is my motherboard trashed.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by boscru6469, Jan 26, 2017.

1. boscru6469

boscru6469 MDL Member

Jan 9, 2012
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1764. The BIOS version was A05. There were a few options that were grayed out so I could not use them example load defaults. I also tried do this by pressing the designated F9 key but all I got was a beep. I downloaded the newest BIOS A13 from Dell. I right clicked on it and Winphlash started erasing the blocks then started to do the flash. It came up with an error message and the flash turned off. I then did the wrong thing and shutdown. A while later I decided to try again but I get no response at all when I press the power button. I removed both the laptop battery and the CMOS battery. An hour later I put the CMOS battery back and tried to power up and again got no response. I also noticed the power light was not lit at all. Do I need a new motherboard?
    Thanks.

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #2 tonto11, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    You've got some reading to do, starting here:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/18959-Dell-bios-recovery-procedure-(confirmed)

If the bios is written to a floppy
    you can get the computer to recognize it and load the bios
    I've got some posts there on some tricks necessary to make it work

If you're lucky there will be some posts specific to the i1764

I think the safest thing to do is to download the bios that was working on the computer before you tried the upgrade
    and see if you can reinstall that before you try anything new

...T

3. boscru6469

boscru6469 MDL Member

Jan 9, 2012
    I can't try to the the BIOS again as the laptop does not power on.

4. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #5 tonto11, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    First make sure it's not really dead

Follow the following steps from the opening post of the thread I referred to :

4.) Remove the battery and the AC power cord.
    6.) Whilst holding down the END key plug in the AC adaptor,
    7.) The battery light should come on, on the Vostro it came on purple (i suppose green and RED at the same time) (other model use different colors, but the timing seems to be uniform across all models.)
    8.) Then release the END key, the power light should come on and the laptop power up,

I you get some lights blinking you've still got a recoverable computer

(I was stuck at this point for a year, so be patient )

just follow LatinMcG's recommendations and you're away.

Forget what I said about floppies, this bios is too big for that

You might search for i1564 as LatinMcG suggests for example:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...64-bios?p=243743&highlight=rcovery#post243743

...T

5. boscru6469

boscru6469 MDL Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Holding down the END key and then plugging the power in with the battery removed, I do not get any signs of life. I guess it is completely dead. I can get a new board for about $70.00 US. I think I will just do that. Thanks everyone for trying to help.