Is my Windows Vista now activated as if by recovery disc?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by willisme1, Feb 4, 2014.

1. willisme1

willisme1 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    #1 willisme1, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Hi there,

I recently fixed up a laptop for my Dad using a distro of Lubuntu, but he prefers Windows Vista (Crazy right?) so he wants me to install that for him. As the HDD died years ago, and the COA sticker has rubbed off, I have no way of activating legitimately.

I read quite a lot on this forum about the process of SLIC tables etc. but I'm still not 100% sure of something. If I have a Toshiba laptop with a correct SLIC 2.1 table, and I used Daz's Windows Loader to activate, is that effectively activating it as the recovery discs would do? Or am I technically running a non-genuine version of windows that is being fooled into thinking it is genuine?

Thanks, Will.

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Give this a read .. Determine if Slic 2.0 is present first for Vista

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. mr3dd123

mr3dd123 MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    I'm not an expert, but as far as I'm aware - yes.
    If I ever have to do this on other people's laptops, I try and do it manually (if that's a thing):

I run Windows Loader (but don't install it). I check what it says under the "Details" section which is usually a string of letters (e.g. "DELL" or "TOSH"). This part's important because some manufacturers have more than one certificate file.

I then find, and extract, the corresponding "*.xrm-ms" file in the archive found here: *** (use the latest exported one, there's an updated link in the OP).

I run CMD as admin, and use "slmgr.vbs -ilc path-to-.xrm-ms-file"
    e.g:
    slmgr.vbs -ilc C:\DELL.xrm-ms (quotes around the last bit if there are spaces in the file name).

That comes up with a dialog box saying "Installed certificate successfully", or something like that.

I then run the "Activate Windows" tool (should just be able to find it in the start menu, or alternatively search for "SLUI").

I put in any SLP key for the corresponing edition of Windows (e.g. Home Premium, Ultimate, etc.)
    Keys here: ***

If it activates successfully, then you've done nothing to fool windows - you only used Microsoft's command line, and Microsoft's "Activate Windows" dialog.

I think this is pretty much the same as what Windows Loader does (as well as what the OEM discs do), but this way, you're sure it's all legitimate. Also, if Windows Loader wasn't to find a matching SLIC thing in the BIOS it would then emulate one on boot, so I try to do it manually to make sure this doesn't happen regardless of whether it's needed or not.

Hope this helps, but not sure it's all correct, it just works for me. :)

***Edit: it won't let me post links.
    The archive is found on this site, under:
    Home --> Forum --> Computing Life --> BIOS Mods --> OA 2.x SLIC & OEMCERT Collection (use the link for the latest exported one)

The SLP keys are also here:
    Forum --> Computing Life --> Windows 7 --> Windows Vista --> Vista OEM SLP keys

5. willisme1

willisme1 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    This worked perfectly for me, and obviously I can be sure that it has actually activated because I didn't use Windows Loader :D I did install it by accident, but then I uninstalled it, rebooted and checked that I was back onto a trial version.

Thanks for all the posts though, I read everything I was linked to - but I didn't feel like making a bootable USB after the effort I went through to get lubuntu booting!

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If you are referring to my post with SLICCHECK_BOOT_v.3.2_USB-STICK run it and it will make bootable usb flashdrive. That will not affect your lubuntu booting in any way you can use the bootable usb on a computer without it having an OS installed that it the whole point so it can check id SLIC is available without the need to install windows first to check. It boots and runs windows PE off the usb pendrive it does not install system is totally untouched.