Is noise from the hard disk is dangourous?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by atulhost, May 12, 2010.

1. atulhost

atulhost MDL Novice

May 12, 2010
    I am using a desktop PC at home and hearing particular noise from hard disk while shutting down the PC. Is it a sign of any danger? :confused: If yes then please suggest some solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !

! .ĐΛЄMØИ. ! MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I get a similar sort of noise on my PATA hard drive which makes a loud click sound when it's about to turn off (it makes it because its turning the spin disk off), I wouldn't worry to much about it.. but backup your data just incase your HDD is on the verge of dying.

3. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel MDL Junior Member

May 6, 2010
    It's most likely the head parking. But either way you should always have backups anyway. HDDs can fail any time and often without warning.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Just my two cents, the other guys already made the best suggestions. If the life of your hard drives are shorter then normal it's a sign of power issues. Either the PSU is under powered, defective, bad connector, bad amp distribution on the rails. If this is not an isolated incident take a hard look at the power supply.

6. MCGamer

MCGamer MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    As they have said, a clicking noise or other noises coming from the hard drive CAN be the sound of impending doom, a.k.a. hard drive failure. Make sure all of your files are backed up occasionally and check your power supply to make sure it is giving out the right amount of voltage to the hard drive. You can check your BIOS to see the current voltages.

7. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    A clicking noise is probably just heavy read/write access as its writing files when shutting down, or it could just be the drive being switched off by the OS and stopping, making a clicking noise as the head stops.

8. seano2101

seano2101 MDL Novice

May 24, 2010
    Hard Drives are very inexpensive items, especially when compared to the value of the data that is stored on them. When they go wrong, it can really hit the fan. Why risk leaving a questionable drive in service for the sake of less than $100?

9. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    there are some hard drive tools available that can run tests, like manually park the head, read/write test
    i cant remember the name of the one i tried but it was probably on a boot cd like one of these,
    Hiren's boot CD,
    Ultimate Boot CD,
    The Universal Bootdisk.v1.4.Deluxe-DeepWateriSO

these bootdisks have some excellent tools on them for all kinds of stuff, google them up and take a look at the hdd tools