Is sharing Default Installation Illegal?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Apr 3, 2014.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Everytime I put them on pastebin.com and put the link on my forums, after a while,the whole pastebin is deleted!

Is it illegal that the Pastebin people are removing it?

I thought these were just keys meant for installation and cannot be used for activation/piracy, so why is it so?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Even though they cannot be used to activate they are still not allowed to be posted we have received DMCA before on MDL.

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Can you guide to the correct thread/post as to the MDL rules pertaining to keys. Would be helpful to all.
    Forgive me if this has already been done.

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I didn't mean here man, I meant I have Windows 8.1 Clean Install guides for various laptops on my own forum. I put a link to those default installation keys in each post. I guess I should remove them then and tell people to google the default installation keys :(

6. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    I will ask this question again: Why even use these keys instead of ei.cfg file?

7. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    for me personally, I put the key in the PID.txt

but the ISO I share on the forums is the untouched Microsoft ISO. So to guide users on installation, I must inform them somehow on what key they need to enter. make sense?

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, DMCA takedown requests are sometimes not comprehensible. We actually allow to post generic keys (also generic SLP keys)....but for w8 generic install keys we have received takedown already, for w8.1 not yet...
    also for some vendor specific SLP1 keys we have received DMCA takedown..

Unique keys are not allowed to be posted of course.

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It's probably just some computer algorithm downloading everything in site and parsing things.
    Still, not worth risking a potential lawsuit for non-compliance...

10. eydee

eydee Guest

I wonder why you care. Is MDL an American site so American laws apply?

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not a question of American Law, instead of intl. Copyright Law! Most of the Governments around the the world (99.99%) have applied for that Law a long time already. The enforcement of that Law is a different "Game"!

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No, no American site. You are totally right. But DMCA is by far worse than 'American laws'. It made the US to play world police everywhere. Actually each idiot can request for a takedown..in the name of the US (copyright)....
    The owner of MDL decided to follow them is best to keep MDL running without many problems. As you know the US can seize servers and they did already......nobody ever should have signed DMCA!

If I were the owner of MDL I would not follow to remove posts and their contents....also no generic keys....which are found at their products in clear text... but that is another story...:)

13. eydee

eydee Guest

I see. Thank you.