Is Slic Apply Like Norm Flashing The Bios?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by littleone, Nov 1, 2007.

1. littleone

littleone MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    #1 littleone, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    Is the applying of the SLIC Exactly like doing a Bios Update for your specific computer?
    I Have XP Pro OS (I moded OS to ASUS OEM Royalty).

With my previous XP Pro VLK there were issues that arose some time after slipstreaming SP3 even after writing over PIDGEN.DLL so it would except my original VLK CD key.
    The problems only arose after installing certain software resulting in invalid sections of the OS.
    I found that Slipstreaming SP3 on an OEM Disk results in a stable reliable OS but now I have the “PLEASE REGISTER NOW ****” or I have to mode winlogon.exe & edit syssetup.inf which is why I am interested in your work here.
    Less cracks etc makes for a stable reliable OS.

My Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 (Rev 1.x) Board has the following FlashBios Options:

1/ @BIOS which is a Windows based live update utility allowing you to update from the net.
    You can also just direct it to a Bios file you previously downloaded and extracted to your hard drive.
    With @BIOS there is no need to Boot to DOS or Reboot/Enter BIOS.

2/ Q-Flash
    Extract Bios file to floppy disk, Reboot/Enter Bios, Press F8 and choose update Bios from Floppy (Basically).
    It mentions in Instruction NOT to cross too many BIOS versions at one time. EG; F1 to
    F12, but instead to go from F1 to F4 and F4 to F8 and so on.
    So in my case maybe this method should not be used as I am going from:
    (Rev 1) x4 to the (Rev 2) x? Mod from Fzeven.

3/ Using Flash Utility in DOS
    I done a bit of reading, bit of making it up as I go along to come up with this, will it work?
    Or is the SLIC different and applied in another way??

Make a boot disk with a diskette and extract only 2 of the 3 original files from the bios_ga-8s661fxm-775_f4.exe; FLASH891 and Autoexec to A:\
    Also extract Fzeven’s moded file; 661XM775.FC_slic1 to A:\
    I would then have on the Floppy:

Boot files

Two of the three original files from the Gigabyte bios update for my computer:
    FLASH891
    Autoexec

And Fzeven’s:
    661XM775.FC_slic1
    If Floppy is set to boot first it should run the boot files automatically after restart and show the flash utility menu, if not enter A:/FLASH891 661XM775 under the DOS prompt and press Enter?

Thankyou for everybodys help to date.
    I am sure when we hit on the right subject I can eventualy return the favor.

Regards littleone:eek:

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes. At some mod versions you have to use additional parameters to flash it fully and properly (e.g. AMI FC mod)

At your case I suggest you to flash from DOS. Make a bootable floppy and copy FLASH891 and Fzevens bios mod onto it. You can rename the bios file to remain the 8 + 3 DOS structure. Set floppy as first boot device, boot.
    Type FLASH891 bios.rom to flash. After that load setup defaults.

It's like a ordinary flash. And a flash from DOS level is always the safest way.

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. littleone

littleone MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    #3 littleone, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #4 Yen, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. littleone

littleone MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
  6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #6 Yen, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  7. littleone

littleone MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    Thankyou.Unfortunate I read 2 Late

I have managed to stuff up pretty good I think.

I sent out a SOS, my post is in Windows XP section.

Now I will just go and headbutt a wall.

BTW:
    Yen, I see you are in organic chemistry.
    Interesting.
    I have Interest and research Magnetics and surface Science.
    Material interfaces such as gass, solid and liquid.
    As it relates to water mostly. Coagulation etc.

Cheers littleone:cool: