IS the desktop personal computer finished?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ausernamenoonehas, Apr 20, 2016.

1. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015

The above shocks me greatly. I can't even begin to imagine a world without the desktop PC and all "computing needs" being done on mobile devices?

:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rochdale

rochdale MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2013
    [h=2]IS the desktop personal computer finished?.................. no.[/h]

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I don't think so either. Mobile devices still have a -long- way to go before they can compete in the same arena as desktop computers.

Apples = Apples

Oranges = Oranges

Apples ≠ Oranges.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    ohno.... the desktop is here to stay..

i for one have got a healthy dislike for those new-fangled contraptions; too small keys; any governnment can follow you with every step you take, and you are paying through the nose for the privilege; i will not touch a smart??phone with a pair of tweezers! ;)

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep, I think that the entire world turn in zumbi's, at least here in my country I hate to see into metro, bus, train, boats, planes etc all people since little babyes till old man as mylself touching this little crap and nobody speak nothing!!! I hate this :cool::mad:

6. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Agree 100% - like to see Photoshop running on a Smart Phone. Suppose one day it will run automatically and think for itself. Humans will gradually become redundant. Maybe 1984 was not that far fetched.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Intel slices off 12000 employees because of the decline of pc sales :(

8. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    No. It is becoming smaller because of getting old.

9. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    There was a time when all devices has to be Intel (or compatible - like AMD/Cyrix)

I guess in this day and age, ARM processor devices are becoming more popular (low end like pi), other mobile processors, consoles - and it's clear M$ are prepared to support solutions other than Intel. With a move towards universal apps, physical architecture becomes less relevant.

The days for developers to do low level x86 assembler code are long gone (modern apps it's harder to do this - and very much discouraged)

Added to the fact virtualization allows multiple OS's to be run on single fast processors, where as before multiple physical devices would be needed.

And I think the demand for more processing power has gone, given that the limiting factor in systems now tends to be other devices like video cards.

Intel just don't have the industry by the b***s like they used to in years gone by.

10. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Intel needs to release something useful for mobile devices, IMHO.

11. kiwiuk

kiwiuk MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2008
    I need a desktop pc, it's way more versatile! But in my household I'm in the minority as laptops and tablets rule for everyday use with wife and daughter. But I'm more hobbyist and that won't make Intel rich, they need corporate $$$.

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Is the desktop personal computer finished? Mine has just started.

People are crazy to abandon a full size screen, quality speakers, full-size keyboard for touch typing, large memory and maximum availability of apps... and go for a fiddly, undersized and underpowered device. If portability is required, then a second cheap device will improvise till getting home.

13. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Nope.
    Let me see you open an excel workbook on your phone and work on it when that same excel workbook spans 3 of my 24" monitors and the side to side scroll bar is saying that you only see 1/4 of the document. :death:

14. skee83

skee83 MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2016
    The desktop wont ever be finished as long as there is a need to edit photos and video and write software etc.

The laptop on the other hand may be replaced by tablets and it's already starting to happen.

Reason for declining demand is people aren't buying computers like they use to, Aside from gamers not many see a need to buy a new pc every year, I personally know people that still use desktop PC's they bought back in 2001 when xp came out and the netmarketshare stats back this up as well, People just don't give a s**t about the newest PC anymore.

15. balackobama

balackobama MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2016
  16. BilliBob

BilliBob MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2008
    Never! I just bought one, and I will use it :)