is the PCI slot dead?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by killaeyezz, Nov 3, 2011.

1. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    #1 killaeyezz, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    hello all :rolleyes: i just purchased a new graphic card Asus 1 GB DDR3 HD 5450 Silent, me and my brother have enough knowledge about computers - as in we know how to fix stuff using Google and,we try stuffs by ourselves but we're not confident about it (or say just say noobs?). so anyway the question here is we tried installing it, pressed switch on button, waited for the monitor to appear but it doesn't, the blue light beneath the monitor keeps blinking but nothing appears, so we reverted to the built in.,and its samsung 22' inch. attached are the specs of my pc sorry about the bad english - i had a real bad day and im not in the mood to recheck the message :( -- additional information - this pc is a year and half old i got on credit last month from a friend of mine - (he is not a techie type guy like me\my bro so im not sure if he has any idea if his pci slot broke or not) any help/suggestions are appreciated.and the reason im posting this here is cause i just wanna know ur opinions thx :hug2:

Attached Files:

2. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Have you gone into your bios and checked that the PCIE viideo card is enabled. Your first dispaly maybe set for the internal graphics. Have a look in your motherboard manual on hoe to set the bios to run your pcie card as your first display.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    okay will check and revert although i saw my brother checking something in the bios but ill recheck

4. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    okay i checked these are the settings i found on my bios .. i didnt make any changes - theses are the default
    ***vga setting***
    peg/onchip vga control [auto]
    dvmt mode [dvmt]
    dvmt/fixed memory [max]
    init display first [pci slot]

sorry if there is unwanted information
    what do i do next?

5. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    #5 zen45, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    dumb question? did you install the driver for the card?o_O if not that could be the reason
    also can you try the card in another computer to see if it works, it wouldnt be the first bad card out of the box!

6. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    well am i supposed to install the drivers without getting the card to work at first? if so, ill try that and post again. but dont think i;ll be inserting the card at this time of the day 1.39 am here that is :D as i share my room with my sister i dont want her to shout at me lol. so ill try inserting the card after i wake up from sleep :eek:

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No Do NOT install the drivers without the card being installed. I would also check you bios setting again for peg/onchip vga control [auto] see what options are available perhaps [Disable] rather that [auto]

8. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    thanks urie :) i will check the settings again as u said.. for now im just seeing what all u guys here suggest :) and i didnt install anything yet and the cd itself dint allow it says this (attached pic) Capture22.JPG

9. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    okay so my brother took the graphic card to his friends place and called me up a while and said its working, he said he dint have to change any settings in the bios so now im confirmed that this motherboards pci slot is dead. will be selling this and buying myself a new motherboard soon hopefully :D
    i use x86 of windows 7 usually but i thought i shd use all 4 gb so re formated the hardisk on x64 but it shows only 3.24 usable. i checked in the taskbar too.. it doesnt use 4 gb i dont understand why?.any suggestions :wassat:

10. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    32-bit Windows can only support up to 4GB, even though the the OS states there 4GB, the system can only use roughly 3.2 or in rare cases 3.5GB on x86.

If you want to use all of your 4GB memory, you need to use a x64 OS, as it supports more than 4GB.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    well yeah sorry thats what i meant. i usually use x86. but a while back i installed windows 7 x64 but it wouldnt use all my 4 gb ram. so i re installed x86 version again. i wonder why that happened:(

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Another point is that onboard graphics may also be using some of that memory.

13. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    thx urie got the problem solved in another way :)

14. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    found out that the motherboard was incompatible with the old mobo so purchased a new one :) now the graphics card is working all good & got 2gb DDR3 ram :) thax once again to all those who viewed and made comments on my post :cool::worthy::hug2:

15. loguns

loguns MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2011
    well , if the new graphics card be installed but not display,remove it and install old graphics card ,then power on the PC,if it can display ,enter system (if windows xp windows 7) ,set the Resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 ,then shutdwon and replace new card ,power on your PC, if it not display ,replace cable to Onchip vga card ,if it display ,that the new card not break off Onchip card.if it not display , i think that your new card was broken ......
    English is not my common language ,sorry ...

16. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    thx for the explanation but as i told we got it fixed, the foxconn motherboard was not compatible with the graphic card so i bought a new intel motherboard:D thx again. everything is fine now :)