Is the Winows 8 freezing issue fixed in RTM or MSDN?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xxx2806, Aug 17, 2012.

1. xxx2806

xxx2806 MDL Novice

May 25, 2011
    Hi MDL guys!

I'm pretty sure most of windows 8 users were/are facing freezing issue (Dev preview, Consumer Preview & as well leaks also) ;). I was hope that the issue will be fixed in RTM or MSDN, but just a moment ago I faced the f*#$%@& freezing isuue again also I faced the issue when I use leaked RTM.Now I'm using MSDN Pro En X64, not activated, Didn't tried any cracks or watermark removal tools. just check update and using it.

Anyone still facing the issue? I can't find any solutions, clean install, installing windows 7 drivers in compatibility mode didn't fix the issue. When PC was freezing I can't launch Task manager or any other tool to find the exact problem, can't move cursor, etc...

Any fix? :worthy: or Go back to 7? :nono3:

2. generalsu

generalsu MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I did face some freezing issues in Windows 8 when I was installing too many programs at the same time. Even when I was creating a system image, the backup froze at 73%. Later on, I did another clean install using Windows 8 MSDN and installed programs one at a time and no more freezing. Weird issues but interesting to analyze.

3. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Oh c'mon guys! You should be smarter than that.
    Go to your mobo forum if available and ask for a bios update. Your pc was built with Windows 7 in mind... not 8 :)
    New OS, new bugs, new problems - the joy of computing life! ;)

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    The freezing issue was in Release Preview on my laptop (Dell Inspiron N5110). The steps that cause freeze were known and I frequently avoided those to keep using Windows 8 RP without any software/hardware damage. I am now using Windows 8 Enterprise x64, I have not faced any freeze for past two weeks. It is very fluent and working very well here. I am using updated drivers (Intel Chipset Device Software 9.3.0.1021, Intel HD Graphics Driver 15.28.0.64.2792 x64, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver 11.5.0.1207, Intel Management Engine Interface 8.0.10.1464, ALPS Touchpad Driver 7.109.411.103, 302.80 GeForceM Win8 x64, etc.) and enjoying immersive experience :yeahyeah:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. generalsu

Jul 30, 2009
    Actually, I updated my Mac firmware just recently and the freezing issue still occurred when I installed too many programs at once.

6. generalsu

Jul 30, 2009
    Hate to say this, but there's always a way to make Windows 8 freeze requiring cold boot. I am not even talking about BSOD, just complete freeze! I can say it never happened on Windows 7.

7. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    That's big bull, my laptop was designed for xp only and it worked fine with vista/7 and 8 without a bios update.

8. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    #8 Puremin0rez, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I had the freezing issue too. Try using this in CMD (admin) to see if it resolves your issues - restart after :)

Code:
    bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. tommy_vercetti

tommy_vercetti MDL Member

Apr 3, 2008
    It would be better if you can post what kind of hardware you are using on Windows, in case if you are looking for any kind of assistance!

10. Larson

Larson MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #10 Larson, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I solved my freezing problems with this a long time ago and haven't had any freeze again (with RTM). I confirm it is working so far for me

11. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Uh... since when it's a rule? Your old pc doesn't have a problem with 8? That doesn't means that other old pcs are all good to run 8 too.. /slap!

But again, I just saw his post.. he's running it on a mac. I'm sure the windows 8 drivers are mostly in beta.. and the bundled ones.. heh.. most of the time they are there just to let the system run... barelly

12. ViperMatrixXM

ViperMatrixXM MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    Theres just a bunch of lagging when I usually do more than 1 thing at once especially when playing video/music and doing something else.

13. danielkza

danielkza MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    The issue was (allegedly) hotfixed by MSFT for the Release Preview, and it's safe to assume it's included in the RTM. So there *should* be no need to disable dynamic tick.

14. molder

molder MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2009
    I solved the freezing Win8 in my virtualBox VM, with switching from ICH9 to IPX chipset.

15. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I guess they lied then lol, My friend and my 2 other computers have been effected by this. They're all AMD machines. My Intel computers havn't been effected by the ticks though.

16. danielkza

danielkza MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    I had the problem constantly on two Intel machines on Release Preview, and I have not yet experienced any freezes on RTM. Maybe you're experiencing a different issue: mine was particularly characteristic because programs would start to be unresponsive, but the cursor could still be freely moved for a while, until a little time passed or CTRL-ALT-DEL was pressed, when everything would freeze for good.