Is there a fix for the obviously broken start menu search yet?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by TimmyP, Aug 31, 2015.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2008
    Simple example. I have Kodi installed. It is clearly listed in "All Apps" when I browse the start menu.

Press windows key, start typing "kodi" only to find NOTHING. Settings, some apps, misc. folders are found...but not apps listed in the start menu.

I have rebuilt everything pertaining to windows search and even reinstalled. Nothing. Same problem on 5 machines.

Windows 8.x was FINE. Results were found instantly. This is the buggiest OS MS has made in a long time!

What the hell?

2. AzTec

AzTec MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mansome

Mansome MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    This is actually a kodi issue not a Windows 10 issue. I been testing this. If you upgrade to Windows 10 or use a provision package on a clean install of Windows 10 it wont find Kodi on the start menu and sometimes not even in the programs and features menu but its still installed. My thought on this is that Kodi does not install like other apps do.

4. AzTec

AzTec MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #4 AzTec, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    i download it and installed it on windows 10, ran with no problems as you can see above

The biggest problem with Media Centers, They are useless for large collections

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
    #5 hanzzon2, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    For me the search is completely broken, even in a clean install of Win10 LTSB N
    Just as broken as the "never install drivers" setting, for this clean install I did it without network cable.
    Then changed the setting for drivers and not until then did I connect to the network.
    PuTTY which I'm searching for is right there in my users "Downloads" folder, and index is up to date...
    If I click on the "Search my stuff" & "File Explorer" button in the search results then it does find the file, it's bizarre!
    I think they must have changed it so that it only shows apps that are actually installed and have shortcuts in the start-menu?

Attached Files:

6. fardeen

fardeen MDL Member

May 11, 2010
    did u remove watermark my mistake? i once removed watermark and it completely broke windows search for me

7. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
    No I have not touched the watermark in any of my installs.

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

MS said that "its telemetry results" showed that users don't make much use of start menu, thus... MS fI_Icks it up. This is another way of MS pushing the user to accept its plans.
    I'm not a Windows Explorer fan nor user, nor of the start menu. I prefer a file manager such as "total commander" or others like it. But, still I want to have a choice in how my desktop looks, feels & works.

Did anyone try ClassicShell on Windows 10?
    It should work flawlessly according to Ivo.

9. TimmyP

TimmyP MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2008
    OMG thank you so ****ing much.

10. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007

Attached Files:

11. jasjeet

jasjeet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2012
    Same problem, installed startisback, now works flawlessly just like 7.

12. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Same here. Startisback works great. I almost forgot what the original menu looks like since I never have to use it for anything anymore.

13. Bubble-be

Bubble-be MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2014
    I thought I was going crazy, because I didn't read anything about it.

A shame you have to rely on 3rd party stuff to get it fixed, I'm trying classicshell (only start menu) now.

14. AsadAhmad

AsadAhmad MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2013
    Some pricks are suggesting to delete dmwappushservice. Have you deleted it instead of disabling it?! [which breaks the search!!]

1. Make sure tiledatamodelsvc and search indexer are running!
    2. Make sure "All Application Packages" have access to ure "AppData" folder.
    3. Start PowerShell as Administrator.
    4. From Task Manager End Tasks Explorer.exe, SearchUI.exe & ShellExperianceHost.exe.
    [Explorer needs to be killed first so that it does not respawn the processes]
    5.RUN Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    [you can try fixing shellexperiancehost and cortana individually]
    6. Once the process is completed CTRL+ALT+DEL & reboot!

your search is now fixed!

15. Bubble-be

Bubble-be MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2014
    Step 5 did it for me. :clap:

16. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
    If you go to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    There you will find a file called "Search.lnk"
    Launching this here from explorer will give you the same "flyin" search menu that Windows 8.1 has.
    It does not have categories so it for example finds putty.exe from the downloads folder in the main window, 400 mouse clicks not required to drill down to it!
    It also manages to find a shortcut on the modern start menu, like you would get if you choose to "pin to start" an exe file that is not in an indexed location.
    (yea, really, the start menu is unable to find even this one!)
    It however is unable to find a shortcut to anything that is located on your desktop.

Windows search: what a comprehensible fantastic piece of software!

17. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    This is a shame for Microsoft. Come on now, Win10 has been released for more than 2 months, and you still can't get the search menu to work properly?
    Shame on those who work on Windows 10, for producing such a garbage.

18. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    if you don't care that ms is spying on you then you won't delete the spyservice and won't have problems with start menu search

MS logic:
    start menu search is for idiots. if you are an idiot you won't have problems