Is there a way to bypass minimum free-space requirement during setup/install?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Apr 13, 2017.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I am having an issue making my own custom image of Creator's Update. I made one with MSMG and de-bloated it from Store-related Apps, making the final size of the ESD smaller. However, when I try to clean-install the OS, it tells me I need 40GB worth of free space... I don't quite understand why, but how do I bypass this? Can I somehow deplay the image via methods other than the installer that is not too complicated???

2. bebj1957

bebj1957 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    #2 bebj1957, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You will need to adjust your paths of course, but you can run this in cmd or powershell as admin. I am assuming you are applying to an active partition or vhd. Set boot with EasyBCD is easiest.
    Code:
    DISM /Apply-Image /ImageFile:O:\Portable_Files\3-Toolkits\ToolKit-v6.9\DVD\sources\install.esd /Index:1 /ApplyDir:e:\ /Compact:ON

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #3 Enthousiast, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    1. A non butchered x64 iso installs on a 15GB footprint, how would your setup state it needs 40GB?
    2. What system disk doesn't have 40GB free-space?

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea, was gonna say I always give 30GB to my VMs and it installs fine

Cheapo tablets come with 16GB storage...

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I know. Those tablets also come x86, so even less needed diskspace.

6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Yeah, I have 30GB allocated to Drive 1 - Partition 0. Official ISO installs just fine, but the one with content cut out says "You need at least 40GB" worth of space. It does not just affect me - check out MSMG thread - other people get this bug too. I just wanted to know how to bypass it - that's it...

7. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #10 MonarchX, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I have no clue how to do that - I use the normal bootable flash drive to install the OS through normal installation GUI.

My 256GB SSD (Disk 0) has 5 partition - the 3 partitions that Windows automatically creates for GPT UEFI (16MB, 100MB, and 450MB partitons), Partition 1 - OS (30GB), Partition 2 - Games (207GB). I customized the ISO downloaded using official MS Media Creation Tool with MSMG 6.9.

I added via Toolkit options:
    - DirectX files
    - NET Framework 3.5
    - Total of about 360MB worth of clean driver files for my hardware (NVidia Display-Only and HDAudio-only, ASUS Xonar DGX, Intel RST, Intel Network)

I removed via Toolkit options:
    - All Store Apps, except for XBox and Store itself + removed associations
    - IE UI
    - Cortana
    - Windows Defender
    - Windows Restore (I use Acronis True Image)
    - Hyper-V
    - Pretty much everything Toolkit allows to safely remove, except for MS Edge, Store, and Xbox

The original Install.ESD file size from the official MS Media Creation Tool was about 3GB and once converted to Install.WIM, the file size was about 3.5GB However, the customized WIM file size ended up being 4.5GB (bigger than the original WIM file size!!!), and yet when compressed to ESD it ended up being 2.8GB (smaller than the original ESD). I went with Install.ESD file due to its smaller size and used the latest RUFUS to create a bootable USB flash drive using FAT32 format for GPT UEFI.

I don't know why this is happening, but I did this several times. The second attempt I just described above. During my first attempt I added about 1GB worth of drivers and used the WIM format, which required RUFUS to use NTFS format and create a special partiton on my flash drive for it to be bootable. It worked - it booted, but the installation process told me my partition size had to be 55GB for OS to install.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    So you've butchered the heck out of a MSDN iso and now it needs more space then the used source iso :g::g:;)

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Butcher!
    Butcher!
    Whining butcher!

10. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    YES, EXACTLY and I am not the only one :mad:.

I provided all the steps. Try it yourself if you do not believe me and tell me what results you get.

However, THIS discussion is for MSMG thread, but the discussion I started was in this thread because I specifically wanted to know one thing - how to bypass the minimum space requirement during normal Windows 10 Creator's Update installation on cleanly formatted SSD from a bootable flash drive (made by RUFUS), not how to fix MSMG or my ISO or whatever else...

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #15 Enthousiast, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Whatever you do to the wim, the content doesn't get really removed from it, it gets state "uninstall pending" (meaning it will be uninstalled during installation).

My question was rhetorical and a bit cynicle.