Is there a way to enable Nvidia GeForce 840M card in Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Full inu, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    I can install 358.91 driver on my {test} system (yeah, my 2014 laptop have all drivers for XP available too, lol) with the help of Snappy Driver Installer program. During installation it says driver was not intended for this platform, continues anyway? Ofc, sound driver and some others was not intended too, so i continue.

But how can i enable this thing in games?

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Do you have both, integrated (Intel) and discreet (Nvidea) video cards? If so, check the bios and verify the card is enabled. Also check the Power options in the Control Panel - 'Balanced' and 'Power saver' always use the integrated card - select the 'Power' (or whatever it is called) mode to enable the dedicated card.

Use programs like Snappy Driver with care (have a backup/system restore enabled). Your first choice should be the mfg. of the laptop, in my opinion.

3. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    Thank you, i'll try this.
    Btw, i also can't open Nvidia Control Panel. I tried to install various versions of driver, the oldest is ~337.

4. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I'm pretty certain the nVidea control panel won't open (or install) if the card isn't enabled.

5. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #5 Mutagen, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    More questions: Is the nvidea card listed under 'Display adapters' in the 'Device manager'? If not, was it ever? The drivers you are trying must match the system - x86(32 bit) vs. 64 bit. (I know XP 64 bit isn't that common, but had to ask).

6. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015

32 bit, but system just says that my display not currently attached to an NVIDIA GPU or something.

7. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    1 - Make and model of laptop.

2 - Did the nvidia card ever work in XP? If so, start with the oldest driver you can find. Once working and backed up, then you can try newer drivers. Try the laptop mfg. site and nvidia's site. Did your laptop come with a recovery/driver DVD? (Laptop is pretty recent, so it may not have an optical drive) Is it under warranty?

3 - Boot from a Linux live (Mint,Ubuntu, etc.) USB and see if it detects the card.