Is there a way to increase ssd using Active Directory

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by alerjic, Jan 29, 2013.

1. alerjic

alerjic MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2013
    Hi,

I have a 120 gB SSD hard disk which consists of two drivers 65 gB (system) and 55 gB. I am using Windows 8 Pro and 65 gB is not enough for me. I have an idea :

I have an other machine windows server 2012 installed. What about if I set up active directory and I use it from my laptop.
    This way, majority of my operating system files will be kept in the server and my system drive will be huge and fast (because of the SSD). I dont know much about active directory. It is just an idea..

In fact I would like to ask that whether there is a way to increase my 65 gB (system) SSD drive to 200 gB and keeping the performance. (200 gB because I need to set up lots of software so all of them will be at least about 130 gB)

-whether you reply or not I like this site. I allways get the news from this site. Just wanted to say "thank you".

2. alerjic

alerjic MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. Than my approach is totally wrong. I have an other idea. It is using an external HD and keep my program files inside it. So my system will be fast and it will have lots of program installed. (visual studio, 3ds max, photoshop, etc) But I am not sure if it will be..

3. alerjic

alerjic MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2013
    I have 2 OS on my ssd. They are windows 7 and windows 8. Windows 7 has visual studio 2010 and there are some licenced software inside it from my company and I dont have the chance to delete these softwares. This is why I have to split 120 gB ssd. I understand you, it will be much slower to use programs with an external HD. It seems there is not a solution at the moment : )

4. alerjic

alerjic MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2013
    I wont continue searching about this. If there is not enough space on the system drive, some program files that are not used frequently may be installed on a HD.

Thank you for the useful information you provided about active directory and why HD should be avoided!

Regards.

5. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    #5 parapher, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    I don't know if you game, but I know people who install their games to secondary drives (as not to take up space on the OS/system drive). This works quite well for games. When I install a lot of programs, it usually doesn't take more than 20 to 30gb. Some large suites (like Adobe progs, office suites, etc.) do take up a lot of space but unless you're a professional I would bet you don't hardly ever use half of those programs (hence no need to install all of them). My approach is to travel light and if I really need a program I can always install it 'on demand' but I would not just want to install everything in case I might need it. If you do it that way you could probably easily load the 2 operating systems on your SSD, including most programs you need. If you don't change drive/partition order around you can install programs to a secondary drive as well, but that works better for some programs than for others. If you install Photoshop, for example, you'll see that you may choose the program directory, but then almost 1gb of additional stuff gets installed (on x64 OS) to Common Files, ProgramData, and Users folders, so in that case it's not a great idea. But yes, for storage of your data, files, documents, progam installers, etc., don't use your SSD, always use a storage HDD for that. Your OS and your (installed) programs is what you want to load quickly and so you would want that on your SSD.