Is there a way to Recovery Permanently Deleted Data via Fileshredder on Biddefender?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rimmi2002, Mar 18, 2012.

1. rimmi2002

rimmi2002 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    Hi a while ago I permanently deleted data from my HD. I used the file shredder feature from bitdefender to do this. I wanted to get that data back. I tried the software "GetDataBack" and scanned the HD for deleted files. Luckily it found all the files and they were all the right size but each of the files that were shredded has a line going through it (meaning it was deleted permanently) When I tell it to recover the file it copies the file to my HD, when I try to open the file it basically does not work. Any idea to how get permanently deleted files like this back or is it not possible.

PS: By permnently deleted I don't mean empty the recycle bin, but instead deleted via a program, in this case fileshredder which took several hours to delete the whole data. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    Normally deleting files just removes the entry to the file. It will remain intact until another file requires the space. The shredder you have used goes one step further to actually destroy the data in the file before removing it from the file list. Sorry, the answer is no. You have very effectively deleted all your data beyond all hope of recovery.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Basically BobSheep is exactly correct, your data is gone. However, there are those who will tell you no data on a hard disk is ever truly gone. Their contention is that with the proper tools, often very sophisticated tools, all data is ultimately retrievable to some extent. But the cost of such is enormous and those forensic tools are generally not available to the public.

The only practical recourse for you are the backup files you hopefully maintained.

4. rimmi2002

rimmi2002 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    Good to know. Thanks. I'll stop wasting more of my time on it. Thanks.