Is there a way to reset the life on my laptop battery?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by laptopxwjv, Nov 15, 2012.

1. laptopxwjv

laptopxwjv MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2012
    I'm leaving for vacation within the next 24 hours, and I noticed it's going to be a 4 hour trip. My laptop battery has decreased in life from about 2 hours to about 45 minutes. Is there a way to recalibrate, or something along those lines, to regain more time on my battery?

2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    discharge to ~3% and charge to 100% and repeat cycle few times.. may help ;)

3. MDLwakh

MDLwakh MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2012
    I am wondering, is there any such thing at all?

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    There isn't it will degrade the more you cycle it. Very rarely it will get better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I am not suggesting you do this, but back in the OLD days (watch it!) we used to toss our HDD's into the freezer if they were about to crap out and we couldn't get data off of them. Pull it out of the freezer after 25 minutes and hook it up quick resulted in immediate access to our files for a short time :smoking:

So as I said I am not suggesting you do this, but we used that same principle for many types of batteries

6. lnstevens1976

lnstevens1976 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2012
    This is not the norm with newer batterys anymore.

What you need to do is setup a calibration power setting that never turns the computer off if it's in battery mode (you can google how to set it up). Once it is setup you let the computer "Completely die". It will actually shut off with windows running (which is what you want).

You then plug it in and let it charge to 100%. With most laptops this completely recalibrates the battyer and I've seen it restore anywhere from 20% to 100% of the missing battery life. I've even done this on a couple of brand new computers and had it increase the original battery life.

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Wait till you have them a bit about 6 months to a year and then try that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...