Is There a Windows XP Universal Home or Pro OEM Ed ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by mr-roboto, Mar 25, 2008.

1. mr-roboto

mr-roboto MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    #1 mr-roboto, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
    The title says it all. Someone I know says they have a Universal Home OEM disc. That is, a disc that will install on Dell, HP, Gateway, whatever using their OEM keys. Not sure if these two kats know what they're talking about. If you know of such an animal and would like to PM me w/ a link, kool. If you can even confirm the feasibility, that'd be kool too.

Based on the (very) little research I've done on this OEMBIOS stuf, I know some kind of Universal OEM CD/DVD is pos. Fer sure, one could do it w/ some sort of script to copy the XP distribution files onto the PC's hard drive, then extract/patch the appropriate OEM files from an archive on the DVD media, then launch the install (unattended or regular.) At this point, I've already made my own multi-boot DVD w/ a menu that has Unattended *and* Std installs for the VLK Ed, as well as Home OEM Ed, so adding a little script (as I describe) isn't a big deal at all.

I would love to get a link to a couple of ready-made Universal Home and Pro ISOs, but so far this looks like a DIY project. No biggie. Later....

:-- MR --:

2. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
  3. mr-roboto

mr-roboto MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    #5 mr-roboto, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
    (OP)
    Interesting. I was certain someone mite've at least seen something "home-grown" in the wild, in the form of a torrent, etc. Since starting this thread, I've collected a few orig OEM discs for analysis, but haven't spent enuf time figuring out the OEMBIOS issues and where to get the OEM keys to make my disc work. But this will definitely help a great deal. Thanx very much.... :-- MR --:

4. Suicide Solution

Apr 29, 2008
    Adding this data to your $OEM$ folder will make it behave no different than any other as you must provide an avenue to execute oemscan manually. I have oemscan.exe ran from cmdlines.txt, so you will need to configure it to only be ran when the HOEM install will be used.

It might be ran from WINNT.SIF as well. You should have a WINNT.SIF in each stub directory for each setup type and by only running oemscan.exe from the WINNT file thats in your HOEM directory should be the best bet. It will just get ignored in the other setups if nothing is there to call oemscan to execute in those setups.

Its just something you will have to test out. SVCPACK file might be another way to have it launched as well.

5. mr-roboto

mr-roboto MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    No, it must be executed from CMDLINES not WINNT.SIF (altho I can't speak about SVCPACK time.) At least, I only know of the [GUIRunOnce] key in WINNT.SIF, which is launched after XP has already been almost completely installed.

I wouldn't even ask the question if this were a couple of years ago, as I had many opportunities to test something like this back then. But my chance is coming tomorrow, w/ a Sony that "needs" a wipe. I really think it'll work.

Thanx for your help and watch this space....

6. Suicide Solution

Apr 29, 2008
    You may be right in respect to launch times, but these files can be swapped after setup is done ive done it many times it just requires a restart afterward to let Windows activate. SVCPACK is launched at T13 (thirteen minuets left for setup) when hotfixes are executed.

7. mr-roboto

mr-roboto MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    SS: You mean you can launch the CMDLINES script (once it's renamed to .CMD, of course) well after SETUP has finished ? Wow ! This is really good info. You've made all of this so much easier ! Thanx yet again....

8. Suicide Solution

Apr 29, 2008
    I have never done it that way, I just swap the files manually. Ive only had to do it in cases where the OEMBIOS files didnt match correctly and I had to go find "obsolete" files that do work. SFC may pop up a message about files being changed, just ignore it and choose Yes to allow the changes.

You wont ever have to do this if everything goes smoothly during setup.

9. MadMan

MadMan MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2007
    #12 MadMan, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
    By VLK Do You Mean XP Pro Corp?

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes VLK means corporate

11. MadMan

MadMan MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2007
    #14 MadMan, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    Do I Have To Replace The Files Within The VLK Version Of Windows XP?

Like PIDGen.dll, Setupp.ini Any Of Them FIles?

Or Do I Just Leave It Alone And Add The $OEM$ folder?

or is there an easier way for me to take a dell XP Pro & Acer XP Pro And Make Them Into 1 CD?

12. Suicide Solution

Apr 29, 2008
    #15 Suicide Solution, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    Yeah, 1st you will need to replace those specific corporate files with Retail PRO files.

1.) Swap these files from a Retail Pro disk:

NT5INF.CA_
    PIDGEN.DLL
    SETUPREG.HIV
    DPCDLL.DL_

2.) Copy the four compressed OEMBIOS files from any OEM set inside the I386 folder replacing the VLK set.

3.) Open the SETUPP.INI file and change last three digits of the PID value from 270 to OEM

4.) Make sure if you use a WINNT.SIF file to replace the corporate key, if it has one, with a PRO SLP key (I just use a HP Pro SLP key inside WINNT.SIF and HP oembios files inside the I386 folder).

5.) Now, just add the oemscan contents inside the $OEM$ folder..make sure you also download and use the PRO version oemscan files. These files are different from the Home version files so overwrite them.

****NOTE: The Compaq OEMBIOS.DAT file in the Home files download may be corrupted. Cant remember if I swapped these before or after I posted the original thread. May be best to grab a new Compaq set and overwrite them just in case****

13. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #16 msr, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
    Can you please reup the files as its not there now.

thx

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Suicide Solution

Apr 29, 2008
    Re-upped all to Megaupload.

15. luminous

luminous MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    #18 luminous, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
    I don't suppose you have ever considered uploading these wonderful disks somehwere :D I mean, with those 3 disks you can legitimately reinstall all your mates computers saving them from being stiffed for £££ by tech support to send out an install disk (which they should have been sent in the first place).

16. Suicide Solution

Apr 29, 2008
    #19 Suicide Solution, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    Most likley not here because its a modded disk and would probably be in the warez area if I provided the entire ISO. They are not that hard to make anyway with the file I uploaded. You just need to copy over the files and burn it to disk. To change XP versions just requires replacing the keys inside OEMSCAN.INI and OOBEINFO.INI with SLP keys that match the XP version you want to use them for.

17. mr-roboto

mr-roboto MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    #20 mr-roboto, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)