Is there any complelling reason to eventually upgrade to windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magnus33, Mar 15, 2012.

1. magnus33

magnus33 MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Windows 8 at its core is sound without any of the driver issues that vista had.

Its stable and nothing major is popping out in the bug department.

Now that aside there's also nothing major popping out in the advancement department.

No major wow must have it feature or innovation that says yes i must upgrade.
    Add this too the fact that MS seems to want to ram the metro UI down everyone's throats without any choice and its becomes less compelling to upgrade.
    The last nail seems likely to be MS dumb as post pricing scheme.

Can you think of any reason you want to upgrade and what feature makes that a must?

2. germulvey

germulvey MDL Novice

May 31, 2010
    #2 germulvey, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    TBH no - windows 7 works for me and I found 8 to get in the way of simple tasks. You're right about the pricing though :)

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Metro aside, win8 can be looked upon as a win7+sp2. There are a few added features- built in iso handling, pdf reader, explorer ribbon that can be added to win7 with 3rd party tools like ultraiso, acrobat/pdfexchange etc. etc. There are some features like windows2go and storage spaces that are unique to win8 but which may or may not be useful to the end user. E.g. I'm too poor to buy a 32gb stick for portable windows (neither do I need one) and I really dont need additional space other than what I can add through my existing external drives. Then theres hybrid boot but the speed's not critical unless you reboot 20 times a day. Theres added security, admin in win8 seems to be less powerful than the one in win7, but heck I always disabled all security.

The killer feature I had been waiting for was a new file system- protogon. Now we have ReFS but dont know whether ReFS=protogon and whether ReFS will be extended to windows 8 (other than server). That has been the real disappointment. So, if RTM introduces ReFS for the consumer editions, I'll be tempted otherwise......if the bright guys at MDL manage to crack it, I might switch otherwise, win7's doing the job just fine.

4. liltest8hmail8h8boxhhlol

Mar 3, 2012
    #4 liltest8hmail8h8boxhhlol, Mar 15, 2012
    nowone should go at 8 today cause at this time there is almost not softaware working on. , why not for look(it mean its only about curiousity.)
    ps: but ofc nowone can know everything ...

5. hansk

hansk MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2011
    Way too many upgrades. They better take care of existing user base.

6. liltest8hmail8h8boxhhlol

Mar 3, 2012
    #6 liltest8hmail8h8boxhhlol, Mar 15, 2012
    ... if u cant run urs favorite softs ther's no point (lose time for 'EATCH' one - some 0%chance working - new = more bugs/instability than olderer ) ...

7. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    What I am seriously concerned about is the new Kill-Switch.

If MS dare to invade my privacy that deeply, I will refuse to use that kind of new "technology".

Otherwise, if DAZ is going to manage "things ;-)" in Windows 8 and you can completely turn that crappy Metro stuff off, it might be worth a try.

Still pretty happy with Win7.

8. liltest8hmail8h8boxhhlol

Mar 3, 2012
    :-(today nowone care about privacy SORY:-(

9. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    There's only one compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 8 - if MS prices it as a $20 upgrade! :D :D

10. liltest8hmail8h8boxhhlol

Mar 3, 2012
  11. efjay

efjay MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2012
    For me, yes. Its faster, more secure, saves settings across my pc's, works better on older hardware, Metro makes it easier to use. Dont see any downside.

12. liltest8hmail8h8boxhhlol

Mar 3, 2012
    its couldly... bether to try things ur self (not only allways stupidly trust new things ...)

13. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    almost no software works on Windows 8? .. hmm, i've got a lot of software running on Windows 8

i guess you must have no favourite software then.

ok, this is true, to a point. people care about their privacy, it's the corporations that don't seem to care about the peoples privacy

14. liltest8hmail8h8boxhhlol

Mar 3, 2012
    i've got a lot of software running on Windows 8

ok.

15. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Who says DAZ can manage it? The UEFI stuff is different from SLIC 2.X technology, and especially much harder to bypass. I think MS has things set up pretty good in Win8.
    I think the war is moving away from the pre-boot area to somewhere else, unless someone manages to break the UEFI security so unsigned firmware can be flashed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. kokosmann

kokosmann MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    That's why I used that little word "if". I never said he can, but could well imagine he is able to.

17. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    #17 nodnar, Mar 15, 2012
    stannieman

you have hit the nail right on it`s head!
    that was my fear all along..
    :worthy:
    let me elaborate..

i have seen uefi come along.
    it is basically an improvement.
    compared to a 16 bit bios, but,

from the first it was obvious that m$
    was going to abuse the `secure` boot
    thing to block any oem machine from
    booting open source operating systems..

this is not a thing that the avarage
    salesman in the computershop is going
    to tell you..more than likely he is
    not even aware of it..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #18 CODYQX4, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

19. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #19 CODYQX4, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

20. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    If you can a add a certificate that is uniquely created per system into the UEFI. And that the UEFI will not revoke it.
    Then you can run your own program at boot.

Too bad that Microsoft did not extend programming support to the Bochs-team. Instead of Windows XP-mode, we could have Windows 7-mode on the arm.