Is there any reason not to use Windows Update drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nongshim, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Is there any reason not to use Windows Update drivers? I don't really game and it's not a very powerful PC, so it just seems easier and more convenient to use WU. Thoughts?

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Nope use the WU drivers for low demanding pc's

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yes because it often installs the wrong drivers, use the hardware manufactures site for drivers

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  5. Evides

Evides MDL Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I think it's arbitrary, depending on the brands and types of hardware.
    To avoid any inconvenience I always make an effort to install as many 'original brand' drivers from the manufacturers website as I can, or at least those that are available.
    For example, my desktop has a Realtek NIC with the original driver.
    WU did replace it a few times for the generic WHQL-driver after which Wake on LAN refused to start my desktop remotely.
    Replacing it for the original driver and disabeling this WU-update was necessary to set this straight...

6. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Yeah but what is the easy way to use manufacturers drivers? WU keeps bringing me the drivers once I install my own, and with the WUMT Script, Windows can't access anything from MS servers when WUMT isn't running.

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    You can use Driver booster for free to update your drivers watch out during install that you untick unnessery crap bonus :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Evides

Evides MDL Member

Apr 6, 2014
    In WUMT you can simply prohibit updates you don't want by hiding them...

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm WUMT by pf100 is the best tool for me, I never had issues ;):)

10. x58haze

x58haze MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2017
    To be honest on old PC I rather keep Windows Drivers default, rather than installing chipset drivers or what so ever
    The only driver that i will avoid from Windows Update are the Graphic drivers such (Nvidia, AMD) etc.

Because sometimes there are realtek drivers than may cause problems in old hardware.

Another thing that you can do is use Snappy-drivers software to find latest drivers, that's a recommend software.

11. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    The WU driver of Intel LAN I219-V which is commonly found in most Z170/Z270/Z370 motherboards does not support WOL (Wake on LAN) feature. To get that feature, we have to install latest driver found on Intel's website.

12. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I never have any problems with Windows drivers. Everything is always ready to go at first boot.

13. Evides

Evides MDL Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I have an older MSI 2010 motherboard with a P55 chipset...