Is there any use of installing 'N' and then installing the 'Media Feature Pack'?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ddsmm2n, Dec 10, 2015.

1. ddsmm2n

ddsmm2n MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2015
    What would still be missing compared to a normal Enterprise install, if I were to install Enterprise N and then the Media Feature Pack?
    I want to try and remove as much as the new crud as possible, but I still want music tags in explorer, although it is not actually that important to me, but I think I would miss it.
    (Also, is it possible to remove the Media Feature Pack after if I change my mind?)
    Thanks

2. mannik77

mannik77 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2013
    I wouldn't recommend that. I tried that a few months ago to see what happens, and when analysing the installed packages it turned out, that the Media pack not only installed everything N was lacking in comparison to the normal version, but also installed those media packages in every available language version.

So unless you want a build that contains actually MORE media-related packages (for no useful reason), don't go the "N + Media Feature Pack" way.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When you're not planning to activate your install with HWID, than you are one of the few i'd recommend to use the Ent LTSB non N version.

4. ddsmm2n

ddsmm2n MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2015
    On the download page, I can select the language, so I would be surprised if it installed all languages, but because you have experience from it thanks for sharing! :)

Yes I was make us of HWID and get my 10 Pro, but it doesn't seem that Pro to me. :)
    I was previously thinking about using LTSB, but the laptop I would install it on is not 'mission critical' - I actually do want and need some of the updates included in TH2 since there were some touch pad issues which TH2 fixed. If it was possible to get an up to date version of LTSB's features, I would be very happy.
    I don't see why Enterprise doesn't share the same features as LTSB, I read Enterprise even comes with Candy Crush Saga... I think that is ridiculous.

So, what I am thinking about now is to get Enterprise non-N non-LTSB, and with one of those utilities to make it more LTSB like. But, I am worried about future windows updates may give errors if certain things have been stripped from the install. - Is this a real problem?

Thank you for all the help

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yes, that can always produce a future problem.

6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #6 T-S, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    LTSB is perfect for mission critical things. It's its main purpose.

Indeed it's ridicolous anyway CCS is not bundled. It's installed from the web on first run.
    I can't see the point of cleaning the plain enterprise. Use either the real LTSB or make a "ghetto LTSB" starting from PRO. The second option, at least, gives you the chance of an official activation.

Hardly that will be a problem. And even if it will, just do an in place upgrade to any other version and the supposed problem will be fixed.

7. ddsmm2n

ddsmm2n MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2015
    Thanks for your input - yes it would be nice to use my legit key of 10 Pro.
    So, removing stuff from the Pro iso could be a good idea, but I was leaning towards Enterprise because of the ability to have control over updates. (Or is that only LTSB, ad not normal Enterprise?)

If I can have full control over my updates then I'll go with Pro.

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #8 GOD666, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    I think I recall Microsoft Office not functioning without the N package as it kept telling me a DLL file was not installed or registered. Every Google search told me to install the N package.

I noticed the N package did have a small (almost meaninglessly small) improvement in video frame rate. I have no idea how or why adding the N package does this when comparing Windows that come with all the goodies pre-installed vs installing the extra N package in N versions of Windows. When I say meaningless improvement I mean 2 - 5 frames on average (meaningless improvement)

The only true advantage I noticed was compatiblity for other programs. If you do not run into such issue K-Lite Codec Package (Mega) or VLC Media Player should be good enough for all your media needs and you can avoid installing the N package.

9. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    I think if you are going to install the media pack you may as well just start with LTSB and not LTSB_N. For some purest to keep minimum as possible is the goal but maybe just more work and not worth the time if the computer has horsepower to start with.

"ghetto LTSB" :rofl: second time I see this and like it way better than run it through the meat grinder. Is not doing this with PRO, Enterprise or LTSB just boil down to closely the same thing if you remove all the ProvisionedAppxPackage's and then the same packages in both. I understand that many running LTSB are also running a ghetto version, with cortana, search etc. removed. LTSB could just be less CPU cycle to produce the "ghetto version" since some of the work is already done for you. It could dependent on what you want and do not want and if something you want is not in the LTSB to start with. For me ghetto LTSB is working well however, I have no need for colored title bars or updates.

I believe the update service can be turned off in all version? and just schedule a task, past it through your firewall, to allow defender virus definition if you use that. It could be just the y2k people that inform you not updating is bad. It appears that M$ update policy is now pushing people in exactly the opposite direction. Informing us all, it is for security reason ;). Security reasons is why many have had auto updates off for years and pick and choose as to what and when. We do however, appreciate M$ trying to help us all.

Regards

10. laqk

laqk MDL Junior Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I don't get why people even bother with "N" versions. Install standard version, go to add/remove windows components, and uncheck multimedia features. Done. Media player is removed without breaking anything else in the system. Music tags in explorer, video thumbnails, html5 video playback in explorer/edge, gaming, etc, all continue to work normally.

What's the point of installing N versions if media feature pack must be installed afterward to fix everything that is broken in these versions ?