Is there any way to Back up files after a fresh installation please ?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by calpo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Hi there,

I've just re-installed Vista Ultimate SP2 and used Retail Key from a friend to activate. It works smoothly now.
    My question is : Does anyone know where and what kind of files do I need to back up in case of the future re-installation. I mean I will not need retail key to activate it again.

Thanks for all your info and help.

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009

if you just installed vista sp2 you dont need to backup anything.. unless you want to ghost your windows...

use acronise trueimage..

3. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    @ blackranger & tcntad

thanks for your info. I used Ghost & True Image. as I read Windows 7 with retail key only needs to back up 2 files: pkeyconfig.xrm-ms & tokens.dat

How about Windows Vista ? Is that the same ? That's all what i need to know.

5. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    @ blackranger

Thanks for your link. I already read and followed the instruction .... I backed up.

@ urie

Thanks for your hint. But 2 files : pkeyconfig.xrm-ms & tokens.dat in Windows 7 is in different directory with Windows Vista.

By the way, One more question:

Do you guys know the instruction how to put these two files in DVD in order that It activates automatically ( Silent activation ) instead of doing manually as I re-install Windows again ?

Thanks in advance

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Handy Backup only backs up files and folders it is not for imaging systems or partitions.