Is there any way to install Windows Media Center on Windows 8.1 with Bing?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by XOL2, Sep 3, 2015.

1. XOL2

XOL2 MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    It seems the only official upgrades are:

8 Pro > 8 Pro with Media Centre
    8 > 8 Pro with Media Centre.

However, it seems likely that there would be a way to run Windows Media Center on 8 with Bing (so that I don't have to waste my Pro licence on my TV PC).

I was reading earlier about temporarily disabling a service called "Na****** Licensing Service" in order to allow Media Center to be added to 8.1 with Bing, but that service didn't seem to be installed. It may have been nonsense or it may have been the right answer. I can't currently find the page in order to link it. I think it was on Microsoft Answers.

Cheers

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #2 Mutagen, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    (No idea why Bing would with have anything to do with this) ... however :

About a week ago a forum member (sorry, didn't bother to note who) had a link in their signature:

"Add WMC to Windows 8.1 Professional"

Note -"Professional", not Enterprise, not Core

It was a text file. It had elevated slmgr commands to install generic W81Pro and WMC keys. This left you wih WMC installed, but not activated. You would then activate with KMSpico/MTK. Worked fine for me. I'm not posting details because it isn't my work and I don't know if those keys are really generic.

3. XOL2

XOL2 MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    That's the name of the version. It the same as Core "except that it sets Bing as the default search engine in Internet Explorer". Given Bing is the default search engine in Internet Explorer anyway, that's fine by me. The licences for Windows 8.1 with Bing are free to OEMs so many Chinese devices have this version.

My question is specifically about this version, not Pro. Maybe the tool released recently for Windows 10 will work. I might give it a go.

Btw the service mentioned earlier was Nalpeiron Licensing Service but it doesn't seem to be relevant.

4. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013