Is there no way to preserve the FREE WMC Keys?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by byghtn3, Jan 26, 2013.

1. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Hello all,
    I have always been a "LATE ADOPTER" of windows things.
    I don't want to upgrade to W8 yet, but I bought 4 of the $15 W8Upgrade keys just incase I want to in the future.
    I believe I understand the W8Pro Upgrade keys do not expire, but the Free WMC keys do expire if not used.
    It also appears that the WMC keys when used, can not be transferred to new hardware.
    It also appears that the W8U+WMC keys will invalidate a Genuine W7 key that was used during the registration of W8.

My questions are:

1. Do I have these facts correct?
    2. I don't currently have a computer that has a touch screen now and may not have one for 1-2 years, how can I keep the W8 Available for the future? --I know touch screens are not required, but I will someday want one along with a more powerful system as well(8-16 core cpu, 16-32 GB ram,Crystal Latice data storage--something newer than we currently have available for less money than todays prices).
    3. If I install and upgrade the W8 with WMC, is there a way to save the activation with the tokens.dat backup(or something), and reinstall on a newer more powerful computer in the future?
    4. If this is all wrong, is there any way to save this low price upgrade for the future use on a newer high power low cost computer of the future?
    5. Is this a "USE IT NOW OR LOOSE IT" only proposition--because I don't want to use it now.

Thanks for the bandwith and any answers,
    Byghtn

2. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Crap. As it was hinted million times, use phone... and brain, lol.
    ;)

3. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    The WMC keys using the tokens.dat exploit to activate them don't actually expire seeing as they've already been blocked and you're using a workaround. I think.

4. Alpha_Tay

Alpha_Tay MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2009
    i received an email from microsoft regarding my free not yet used wmc keys, it seem they do and will expire.

Windows

This is a reminder that you must activate your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key** by January 31, 2013:

Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:

1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
    2.Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    3.Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
    4.Then tap or click I already have a product key.
    5.Enter the product key, and then click Next.
    6.Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

Learn more about Windows Media Center

** Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available at no charge for a limited time only through the promotional page on Windows.com. If you obtain Windows 8 Media Center Pack through any other location, fees might apply. Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to one product key per email address. In addition, each product key can only be used with one computer. You qualify for this promotion if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro. Additional hardware may be required to watch and record live TV. You must provide a valid email address to receive your Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key. This promotion ends on January 31, 2013; your product key must be activated no later than February 1, 2013. Microsoft will only contact you at the email address you provide to send you your product key and to remind you when the activation period for your product key is ending. Catalysis Corporation is a third-party company we use to collect subscription information and process the delivery of these emails. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store. Get the full details on our special offers.

5. Alpha_Tay

Alpha_Tay MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2009
    and here.

windows.microsoft.com/en-MY/windows-8/feature-packs

Your product key must be activated no later than January 31, 2013

windows.microsoft.com/en-MY/windows-8/terms-conditions-feature-packs

How long is the product key for Windows 8 Media Center pack valid?

You must use your product key by January 31, 2013.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Is that WE missed something or YOU? Only old news, nothing more ...:cool:

7. craftbrewer

craftbrewer MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Only thing new is for those who have activated and used the key. M$ is sending e-mails about using your free M$ key or losing it, even thou its been used.(well me at least)

This seems a bit weirde, you would think they would have on record what keys were used.

MAYBE THEY DONT!!!!!!!!

Implications are unknown

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Nothing special here, got those mails for all keys i ordered, regardless whether activated or not :D. Was stated in the first mail with the key i recieved.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    all keys gone!

10. randyored

randyored MDL Junior Member

May 8, 2007
    #12 randyored, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    I activated all of my WMC keys by slmgr/ ipk then slmgr /ato in the same legit Win8pro already upgraded to WMC.

First time changing the WMC key it went to a metro ACTIVATE screen. My heart sunk. OH CRAP!! I hit the activate button and it failed, but without intervention 2 secs later it changed to "you are all done" and it was activated. The others keys I activated never presented that Activate screen, but did get the small Activated" dialog. I then returned to the original WMC key. All is good.

I know that when I go to use these keys I may have to use phone activation. But, in the past I have used a WMC key on two different KMS PCs. So, maybe I will get lucky.

My thought process was to get these keys activated in MS eyes.

11. Gamer2win

Gamer2win MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2008
    I just did the same
    thanks for the tips

12. randyored

randyored MDL Junior Member

May 8, 2007
    Not a problem.

13. hewligun

hewligun MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Does anyone have an extra WMC key? apparently the one I had in my email box i got awhile ago doesnt work. it is saying its been used already.

14. Alessio79

Alessio79 MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2010
    check your PM

15. Learner

Learner MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008

I had done the same thing using my brain lol.

Good to see it was the right method.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm pretty sure you maybe able to save the keys by activating Windows 8 Pro via MAK (Which turns it into Windows 8 Pro VL) then activate the WMC with that install. Your current version of Windows 8 Pro will not be activated but the key maybe show as "Activated" on Microsoft's side so the key may be able to be used in the future with a legit Windows 8 Pro retail key.

I would recommend you do this in a Virtual Machine.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

17. Learner

Learner MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    I'm sure this has been answered before... once you activate Media Center Pack key, your original Windows 8 Pro key gets replaced. Could you re-use that original windows 8 pro key to activate another copy of windows? lol

18. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    No, not officially. Your data.dat file contains information about your original key. That's why people who've used MAK, KMS or leaked retail keys before applying the Media Centre addon are still at risk.