Is there something wrong with Windows/Microsoft Update for Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by secretromeo, Nov 11, 2013.

1. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    #1 secretromeo, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    I installed Windows XP Professional with SP3 on an old Core 2 Duo computer. Successfully activated it using my DreamSpark Product Key. However, upon trying to update (Windows Update), I am greeted with an error page on the Windows Update v6 website.

Downloaded windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe from Windows Update website and installed as C:\windowsupdateagent30-x86 /wuforce.

Downloaded and installed Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP.

This time, on the Windows Update website, I am getting updates. But it takes a god-damn half-an-hour of scanning to check for the latest updates for my computer. This is an awful lot of time! I remember the last time I used Windows XP, about an year ago, updating was so easy and quick. I wonder what's wrong with it now?! Is Microsoft intentionally doing this or what?

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Maybe it is a temporary problem. On the weekend/Sunday (yesterday), I did a clean win 8 install, and first update check took 10-12 minutes to show list of updates. This is on a 8mbps connection so internet speed was not an issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Very likely. Make all efforts to kill xp (quite sensible to me). New XP updates will not be released from April 2014. For people still building a new XP system now or then, make it difficult to update. Could the updates also vanish so a new XP will not get any online updates from MS.

For that matter, does anyone know if win 98 or say win 2000 systems do get to download updates even though MS has long since stopped supporting them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
  5. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Helpful post, but KB2879017 update will be replaced tomorrow, by another IE update.

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Very true, but one month old is still preferable to ten years old IE components.

7. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Well you can consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Next clean install you do you may find it slower.
    I have all the latest updates and patch's etc. as mentioned. But it is that first time after a clean install that that WU hangs. I have had times ranging from 10 min to 26 min before it shows me any updates! After that I am in in less than 2 min.
    I am working on a couple XP disk's and do quite a few clean install's trying different things.