Is there somewhere that I can download Windows 10 mobile Insider builds

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ady199, Jul 4, 2016.

1. ady199

ady199 MDL Senior Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Hi Guys,

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum but can anyone tell me where I can download Windows 10 Mobile insider builds as they seem to take ages when downloading them on my phone.

Thanks in advance

2. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    This Win 10 Forum is for PC Users. Good luck finding help with Mobile

3. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    I'd head over to XDA developers forum, they used to have a method of capturing links and some guys used to post links to the files. Installing them can be disastrous if you don't already know exactly which files you need, some guys post lists of the files for different phones. Honestly haven't looked in months and things may have changed. But that's your best bet.
    It doesn't come in an iso format, individual files, lots of them, haha. If it's your daily driver don't bother. If it's an old toy you're playing with try there.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    How do you plan on installing them if you find them as a download?

5. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    That's easy, put it in developer mode and install through the PC, you need the developer mode enabled and there's commands to force the transfer of files to the phone. But as I said. It doesn't come in an iso format, each model has a different list of files. If you're not sure EXACTLY what you need good chance you could brick your phone.

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Got an old Lumia 520 I was going to try force the upgrade on, low specs though so might kill it, tutorial I was reading said to install a reg editor via deploy XAP, phone is dev unlocked but couldn't get it to deploy so gave up

7. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm positive if you are a Windows Insider you can still download the Windows Insider app and still get the latest release through Windows Insider. I recently (about a month ago) did the same with a 620, similar situation to yours. Still get updates, on 10586.420 now I believe. They just aren't making it "official" but they are still allowing the upgrade.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Tried it, they dropped the 520 before build 10586 I think, there were early previews for a while for it, it's only got 512MB RAM and 8GB internal, probably why

The hack was to edit the model in the reg, then it would install the latest build, but couldn't even get the reg editor installed, and pretty sure it would probably brick the phone anyway

9. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Mine has same specs, it works, honestly. Try Fast, try Slow. Mine has same, 8Gb, 512 ram. Last updated June 14th, have done it since 10586 came out, like I said. On 10586.420 now. I even had reset it using WDRT, perhaps that's the trick. Is there any way you can go without it for an hour or two and factory reset it with WDRT? I had same issues with that registry editor, but don't need the registry editor for the 10586 release and phones that were supported at one time with the Insider Program, just need registry editor if you want to spoof your phone to another model. The Lumia 520 was in the Insider Program at first, was it not? I believe anything X20, the 520, 620, 1020, all those were and still can be upgraded through Windows Insider. I did force the transfer of files through my PC to a phone without the registry hack but upgrade failed because I didn't have the correct files. (HTC 8X phone)

10. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    #10 makin.ditch, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Downloading 10586.456 right now...

Hey, just thought, If your phone shows Release Preview lane on Windows Insider app use that one, or update the Windows Insider app if there is an update available from the store.
    Yup, I'm on Release Preview Ring...

I just checked the Insider's app. It won't let me change rings anymore, seems I'm forever in Release Preview Ring. You may need to find that file list over at XDA if there is one available for your model. Force the file transfer with the developer's tools is the only method left if you're not already in.

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #11 MrMagic, Jul 4, 2016
    It's just been factory reset a few days back after I dug it out of the cupboard for the first time in about a year, set to the FAST ring atm, I`ll try the RELEASE ring

It's just a spare phone so I don't need it for anything specific, can play about with it

EDIT - lol there we go, it's found an update cheers, see what this is

12. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Great!, First will come 10586.107, for some reason every phone that upgrades has to start with that, then it should go straight to the latest available I believe. Then just keep it on Release Preview for all the time, they will never let us back in the Slow or Fast Rings with these old phones, haha. Mine works pretty decent though.

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #13 MrMagic, Jul 4, 2016
    Would probably never have tried any other rings, when it wasn't available in fast I assumed it had been dropped, and my dad was testing builds on another 520 and said the same thing, must have just been pulled from fast and slow rings and he didn't bother checking release ring either, thanks for the heads up

Migrating data, step 2/22 - slow things these old Lumias lol

Yea, not bothered about getting official or other rings, just wanted to see what WP10 was all about, this will do nicely

EDIT - Yep .107 first, now .456 coming down, had to opt back into the release preview ring again after first boot, no updates at first, must have removed me from the insiders preview after the upgrade

14. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Yes, I believe they won't let these back in the fast or even the slow rings. Takes a while to install, first few times you boot be patient, but I think it improves greatly after the first few boots. At least that's my feel for it. I think it's very usable.

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea, actually feels better, smoother, more fluid than 8.1 now, takes a few mins after first boot to settle down, once all store apps are done updating and it's ready, it's like a different phone

Next step, convince the gf to let me update her 535 lol

Appreciate that mate, cheers

16. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    The first few boots like I said, keep it on for a couple days, reboot it once in a while. It must boot optimize, it gets better...

17. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013