Is there such a thing as Office OEM:SLP?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by DKane, Nov 6, 2009.

1. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I ask, because the next version of office closes the corporate loophole. The only avenue of piracy will be to gain OEM:SLP keys, if they exist. I have been to the PC world up the road, if I remember rightly, there were PCs with office pre-installed. And also usable display models.

If these copies of office are pre-activated, then all that I would need to do is recover the key from one of the display models. Something I am quite up to doing.

If the existence of SLP is uncertain, is there any way that a given key could be checked?

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    no, office is just a normal app, and can be used like normal app, but has no links to slp.

I am sure if office ever gets linked to slp, we will hear about it here though. Office 2010 does not come out for a year, does it, or is it sooner?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    #3 DKane, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    (OP)
    Oh. Shame. So how are pre-installed copies of office activated? Do the OEMs just activate each one individually?

EDIT: And is there a PID-checker for office? I'm going to PC World anyway, most likely, for educational value, and I'd like to understand what I collect.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Preactivated copies use VLK (volume licence key)
    That does NOT require online activation

OEM do not see office really, the copy you might get there if you buy with a PC is either trial or retail (both require online activation by END user)

sebus

5. hellosky

hellosky MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2008
    OEM copies have to be manually activated. They may install the trial version and when you run office for the first time you have to enter in the key on the packaging.

There is no OEM:SLP for Office.

6. Cucscspr

Cucscspr MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2008
    Dunno if it's totally accurate but this is what I found:

Editions:
    Starter = OEM
    Home and Student = Retail
    Home and Business = Retail
    Standard = Volume
    Professional = Retail
    Professional Plus = Volume

7. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    We will see a new section open for Office in this forum if SLP:OEM were true

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Never will be this forum is for bios modding and activation.

9. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Exactly, if there's such a thing for Office then we'll hear about it here I am sure. OEM:SLP for Office, the original subject, would imply bios mods.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. RogerI

RogerI MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    It is no problem for Ms to exercise the same password control in Win 7 on Office Suit.

11. delta127

delta127 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2009
    Any news of this method ?