Is this BIOS Mod possible?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by HansPeterWurst, Jun 4, 2012.

1. HansPeterWurst

HansPeterWurst MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2011
    Hello,

i am new to all this BIOS Mods. I buy a new PC 2 weeks ago and now i have a Problem.
    I encrypt all my HDs (FDE) since a few years with Truecrypt. After buying a SSD is decided to use ATA Security to lock my SSD Boot Device only because of seeral reasons.

Now my new Mainboard (MSI Z77A GD65) does not Display a Password Promt and i cant boot from my password protected SSD. For sure, i can read the data if i put it in my other PC or Notebook, but want to use it with my new PC.

After al little search i found ATASX (please google for it, i can't post Links) and it seems it is possible to integrate this extension to my main BIOS.

But i have no idea how to do.
    Maybe someone can help me and point me in the right direction or mod my BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

2. anti-t

anti-t MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #2 anti-t, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
    it seem that atasx bios extensions is a module made for traditionnal bios (legacy). The mainboard your are using have no bios, it has a UEFI firmware. I believe you can't add theses old bios extension to UEFI. Don't even try it coz you could brick your motherboard. I guess you have to put the HDD in your other pc or notebook, remove the protection there and put it back in your MSI Z77. It should work, hopefully :)

A second thought : it could be possible do add the atasx to a network card's rom, it you have such a device. Then you wont risk your mainboard UEFI.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #3 LatinMcG, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    yes, remove hdd protection in original pc .. or in new boot dos and use MHDD 4.6

4. HansPeterWurst

HansPeterWurst MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2011
    Thanks for your fast answer but maybe i wasn't clear enough.

For sure i can remove the ATA Password in another PC or with some tools but that ins't what i want.
    I want to use the Password protectet disk in my new PC and the Problem is, the the BIOS won't ask me for the Password.

Thank for pointing me to the differences between UEFI and BIOS. I understand now that is in impossible to integrate ATASX to my UEFI Firmware.

Is there a change to "extract" the ATA SX Part / Module from an working UEFI Firmware (maybe some Lenovo or DELL Notebook) and integrate it into my MSI BIOS?

Thanks again for your help

5. alex999

alex999 MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2013
    Hey, I need to enable ATA security extensions for my SDD (it supports encryption via ATA PSW, as verified from "ssds-with-usable-built-in-hardware-based-full-disk-encryption" article on vxlabs , can't post link due to noob restrictions).
    Motherboard is Sabretooth 990FX 2.0
    Is there any person working on a way to put the ATASX extension into a UEFI motherboard ?