Is this forum meant to be user-unfriendly?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by sebasura, May 31, 2020.

1. sebasura

sebasura MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2018
    Hi, I've seen a lot of FAQ threads with tips and all, but when it comes to the really simple question of "where do I find Windows ISOs?", it's really harder than it should be. People claim that you need a 5min read but that's not true.
    For example, I want to download a Windows 10 Pro/Ultimate ISO, and all I find are threads like:

Windows 10 Final Build 19041.1/208/264 (PC) [20H1 vb_release]
    Windows 10 ESD Repository
    Windows 10 SVF Repository
    [INFO - DISCUSSION + Downloads] Windows 10 1809 FINAL b 17763.xxx (PC) [RS5]
    Download Windows Install Media Techbench/MVS ISO/UUP/SVF/ESD
    [Index] Windows 10 Builds

I mean, I know what a build and a repository is, but what the f is ESD, SVF, RS5, UUP (and most people don't even know what a build or a repo is), also those build versions don't say anything to me (I think I remember 1809 was the latest I've seen, so anything higher is newer, but still not very clear). Windows is branded as "Windows Home/Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate/etc", but then you have tons of topics with version numbers and dates and acronyms, like you don't want people to just come and grab some ISOs and install them. They MAKE you read about things you don't even need to know. I think it would be better to have a sticky thread titled "Windows 10 ISO download" and a list of versions separated by their edition name (Home, Pro, etc). Then you could just choose the latest version of the edition you want, and IF YOU WANT, you can check de MD5 checksum (of course, the thread should have a link to the checksums, activation methods, windows edition comparison and stuff). That could save the forum A LOT of "where can I download the latest Windows Pro ISO?" threads.

I understand that if you wanna customize Windows or install tweaks or even activate it, you SHOULD read stuff, but for a mere ISO download... nope.

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    first of all u posting in the wrong forum try the windows 10 forum.

3. sebasura

sebasura MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2018
    Well, no. It's a question about the contents of this forum in general. W10 is just an example that made me think about this.

4. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    This forum is like that. The content is not well organized. Sometimes the actual download links for a tool are not in the first page, you have to read them all or ask for it (and sometimes getting some rage because of that). There are multiple topics about the same. There are multiple topics that should be closed and have a message to warn users because the owned of the topic or tool is no longer here.
    This makes it not easy for a newcomer. Most of the people that post on this forum are old members that already know this house really well.
    you should try to post here https://forums.mydigitallife.net/forums/suggestions-and-feedback.6/ what you think it's wrong and needs some work. Maybe the admins and/or mods might take a look.
    Meanwhile, fell free to post on the relevant topics and one of the experts will help you.

5. GezoeSloog

GezoeSloog knows a guy, who knows another guy.

Feb 10, 2012
  6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I would not even analyze your text more, because even that small piece is enough.
    1. why don't you want to download them from Microsoft site if You can't find the links here?
    2. interestingly, 5 years have passed since the first release of Windows 10 and you still don't know which versions exist at all. There is no such thing as Windows 10 Ultimate and never has been. And that's why you can never find a link to it.
    After all, why did you come here at all? Really only for start dictating what needs to be in this forum and what doesn't have to be here.
    You're a guest here, a user ... be grateful if you find something you need. And if you can't find it, please post a thing that's missing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sebasura

sebasura MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2018
    Why are you so salty? Can't you see that information here is sparse and hard to find? Is it really that hard to see? Are you THAT self-absorbed?

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #8 Yen, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    For those people such tools are already there: https://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/Windows-10-ISO-Download-Tool-Changelog-255796.html or just the media creation tool.

Finally MDL is not here to spoon feed visitors with point and click ISO downloads for several reasons.

I mean why do people come to MDL and do not use ISO download tools? Maybe they want to know more about 'ISOs' ?!? Maybe they want to have versions which are hard to find elsewhere?

Since w7 things have changed and you need to know what UUP, ESD and yes svf means. Also providing ISOs and DMCA is a matter to be considered (for instance enterprise and LTSC versions).
    If you are not interested in that, but downloads only why do you not use MSFT tool?

You are right they are not that easy to find and info is fragmented (natural process during time)...but that's quite OK. Anyway they can be found. There are summary posts.

If they would be more obvious they attract more attention! That's the drawback...:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. hitendra

hitendra MDL Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Users generally avoid reading. MDL discussion in thread for a post is big but it is inherent culture of any such platform. Not very specific with MDL but for any forum even for doctors, engineers and lawyers. what all users demand that the keyword they have in their mind must encompass what they want. I barely believe such a place exist in anywhere in universe.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    All starts with reading....

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Online search is a process and some experience can help.
    Not everybody has the same effectiveness.

I can notice that at work and at my friends.
    The matter gets even more complex if one has to choose from different sources / ways to get something to work.
    Also to determine wrong ways in advance....and to separate 'crap' from useful posts.

Finally it depends on own will and own interest how to get something....I dunno I only ask at forums if I really cannot find something myself....and that actually never happens.
    I know how to use the search function properly and I know how 'good posts' look like...